Perhaps folks are getting a bit over invested in Baby Yoda

7 Likes

Which is why I have Netflix, Hulu, Prime, HBO Now and (briefly) Starz to watch American Gods.

It’s not a budget issue for me. And in general I would rather spend a few bucks than hassle with pirate sites. But for some reason, I’m feeling stubborn, and just don’t feel like jumping into line for Disney whom I have never liked, despite liking some of their movies. It’s purely an emotional response on my part.

ETA: didn’t mean for this to be a response to @Melz2

5 Likes

10 Likes

Oh yeah, they totally looked like good guys… a bunch of shifty smuggler types trafficking a baby. Nothing nefarious here! I’m sure it was all candy and ice cream and frogs and bed time stories!

We don’t really know that they were “defending” in that sense. May have been holding him for nefarious purposes.

But he did kill a mass of people there, potentially unnecessarily. If video games have taught me anything you can usually sneak in the back or invest in the dialog skill tree.

Jawas who feasted on the egg of endangered species!

We have no evidence in either direction. We do have evidence of multiple people people with competing bad intentions seeking the kid. Since IG-11 had different instructions than the Mandalorian.

They’re also handing out free signups like candy. I got a free year from my phone’s unlimited data plan.

5 Likes

Again, we haven’t yet seen any evidence that they were trafficking a baby. All we know is that they defended their compound from the actual assassins who were actively trying to kill the baby.

If trafficking was their game then they likely would have just SOLD the baby to Werner Herzog instead of laying down their lives to defend it.

6 Likes

The first time I saw BB-8 I thought, well, now Star Wars finally has its Elmo. But now with baby Yoda, I don’t know. Is there a Muppet designed to out cute Elmo to better maximize merchandise sales? If so, that would be baby Yoda.

5 Likes

This is why I always hoped a sequel trilogy would be about a prolonged droid civil rights movement. The threads are there throughout everything Lucas did in the OT and prequels: sentience, prejudice, forced labor, casual abuse. Like any large-scale civilization, it’s dark truth is that it’s built and run on the oppression of others. But good luck getting Disney to spend 3/4 of a billion dollars making a trio of movies about racism.

3 Likes

People like you are why vans with “free candy” on the side still work…

They probably had a higher bidder.

If they had someone with the baby willing to shelter it, I’d be a little more inclined to humor your point.

The Kamino tech showed the most concern for his well being than anyone else so far.

1 Like

I was reading up on that bit of fan theorizing. That the use of that symbol connects him to the cloning project.

But apparently that symbol is only displayed on the clones not on the cloners. So I’m not sure we can assume he’s involved in cloning. Might mean he’s a clone himself, but might also just be using the symbol for some sort of Empire weird science division. Either seems about as likely as a cloning story line at this point given the info we’ve got.

Star Wars fandom has a serious tendency to expect clones in everything all the time. But clones don’t really lend themselves to good storytelling. So I don’t get it.

I’m not saying they were definitely the good guys. I’m saying nothing in their actions has suggested they were bad guys. We only saw one person definitively engage in child trafficking so far and that was the title character.

The only evidence we have that the folks in the compound were up to no good is that they looked, as you say, like “a bunch of shifty smuggler types.” But you know who else looked like a bunch of shifty smuggler types? Pretty much the whole rebel alliance. At least two of their most important generals were literally shifty smugglers.

7 Likes

I kept thinking that the kidnapping of a baby Yoda featured prominently in the old Clone Wars movie, but of course not, that was a baby Hutt. Is its appearance inevitable…?

2 Likes

They are a handy way to save time and money having to model more CGI characters though.

4 Likes

What… what if it comes out later this character has a horrible name? Or is a villain?

Like… Babykiller. Or Sta’lin…

“Oh look, you got a Babykiller tattoo on your leg… um… ok.”

“It was Baby Yoda when I got it!! Honest!”

Isn’t that an unfounded assumption that they’re protecting the child instead of their base that some just blew a large hole in?

1 Like

What I find a little confusing is if they wanted it dead, then why were they about to operate on it back at the hideout? Sample tissue/midichlorians perhaps?

They had guns! Crew served weapons! Everyone knows only mass murderers and criminals need guns.

Oh… wait…

You misspelled “terrorists”.

Ah, good point. That’s news to me.

Maybe the think he’s a Gelfling and trying to extract his essence so they can life forever…

2 Likes

Yo ho! Yo ho!
A pirate’s life for me!
:pirate_flag::dagger::skull_and_crossbones:

Also: local public libraries rule all the schools! *

*Yeah, yeah: except the private Bineke, Bodleian, Radcliff, etc. school libraries…Have a cookie.

2 Likes

So, have we proven @jlw 's theory yet?

4 Likes

I feel the same way about the song “Bohemian Rhapsody”. I love a lot of Queen’s songs, but that one I have heard so many times growing up, that by now it is fingernails on a chalkboard.

Baby Yoda is another in a long line of things ruined by ad nauseam.

2 Likes