Perhaps folks are getting a bit over invested in Baby Yoda

12 Likes

raised by a mass murderer.

Well that escalated quickly!

Thus far we haven’t seen him kill anyone except in defense of himself or others.

he wasn’t really defending “himself” against the Jawas.
but people do like to equate property with person hood.

4 Likes

Siri doesn’t have a restraining bolt? /s

6 Likes

I believe the idea in Star Wars is that they’re specifically programmed not to. But self awareness tends to develop over time, so Droids are memory wiped as regular maintenance to prevent that sort of thing.

The droids we see that are more self possessed (which is almost all of the droid characters) haven’t been memory wiped often or recently enough.

Which is all kinds of disturbing when you think about it. Particularly as this is often described in world as droids “malfunctioning”.

6 Likes

I still can’t bring myself to subscribe to Disney. But that baby Yoda is cute.

4 Likes

He killed that one dude who was actively trying to run away in the first couple minutes of the first episode and who only shot back at after Mando roped him. And he killed a whole bunch of Jawas who weren’t posing an immediate threat of any kind—they didn’t even know he was there until he started vaporizing them and at least a few of them weren’t even armed.

9 Likes

Don’t forget about murdering the entire outpost of people defending baby Yoda.

4 Likes

Did that planet have any kind of government to provide a legal system?

2 Likes

You don’t think being stranded on a planet with limited resources isn’t a danger to one’s life?

Also, c’mon, they’re Jawas.

He knew what he did…

C’mon, they’re Jawas!

You mean the kidnappers?

2 Likes

You mean the kidnappers saving it from the literally evil Empire?

7 Likes

Never have, never will; yet I’ve seen all the eps thus far.

:wink:

9 Likes

Well, this thread title certainly called it.

10 Likes

I guess if your position is “it doesn’t count as murder if you do it in a place that doesn’t have laws” then fine, he didn’t commit murder. But he didn’t even ATTEMPT to find a non-lethal resolution; he could have just walked down to the Jawas with blasters drawn and said “give me my shit back or I start shooting.”

We actually haven’t seen any evidence that those people were kidnappers. They were quite likely actually the good guys trying to protect the child from Werner Herzog’s evil medical experiments.

6 Likes

I have no moral issue watching from alternate sources but I am admittedly a very lazy pirate.

9 Likes

Some folks live their entire lives overly invested in all aspects of Star Wars.

11 Likes

I honestly can’t tell if you’re joshing, but just in case you’re not: I mean the “Dear Theodosia” parody video in the BB article. Which I shall now go re-watch before this thread devolves any further into a lengthy debate about the acceptability of indiscriminately slaughtering any members of an entire sentient species on sight.

4 Likes

The pricing for Disney Plus seems calculated to make people decide “eh, it would take more than seven bucks’ worth of my time to try to pirate all this shit anyway.” Same as what iTunes did to Napster.

4 Likes

I wasn’t; I almost never look at the front page.

Thanks.

1 Like

My pleasure, then :slight_smile:

2 Likes