PETA claims patriotic Super Bowl ad was banned by NFL

Do not hold your breath. PETA has not changed its strategy for many, many years.

3 Likes

PETA? The same organization that kills kittens and puppies?

4 Likes

That eagle broke his knee.

1 Like

I’m all for the extermination of parasites like Guinea worm, and I expect most vegans are too. That falls under the definition of speciesism.

5 Likes

Did you make it to the message at the end? Seems to me it counts your interpretation.

1 Like

It’s on my list. I enjoy me some Wes Anderson. Just haven’t gotten around to watching that one yet.

6 Likes

IMO, it is really good! So is the Fantastic Mr Fox.

1 Like

6 Likes

Six carnivore animals in that commercial.

2 Likes

Since I agree with @GulliverFoyle on this subject, I’ll give an answer too.

The problem with equating #allspeciesmatter with #blacklivesmatter is the same as equating #alllivesmatter with #blacklivesmatter.

The problem isn’t an undervaluing of other species…it’s choosing to override the specific egregious inequality faced by African Americans in the U.S. by lumping it in with everyone else.

12 Likes

You are making a moral judgement not only about what you think is PETA’s intention, and an assessment that is lacking on the same grounds, you have no clue what they want to achieve, and how they measure success.

My moral judgement is different, which opens possibilities for other intentions on PETA’s site. Observing previous campaigns, I see a pattern (which I was not alone to notice).

Kapernick must have not gotten that message then:

I think that makes it pretty clear that they are not undervaluing that struggle to promote another struggle, what I believe they’re saying is: same struggle, same fight.

Of course, there may be, as @GulliverFoyle puts it “practical, deontological or consequentialist” arguments why you reject that.

But as I said above, that moral judgement is yours to make, I make another moral judgement that message because that message strongly resonates with me.

When I stopped eating meat decades ago, I learned simply mentioning that fact often triggers people into strong reactions, even though I just mad it known so we can pick a restaurant that works for everyone. But I understand that this challenges their lifestyle. The same happens with PETA’s ads, every single time (except for the one with autism, that was a stupid and utterly fucked up move on PETA’s part) people are given another chance to reflect their lifestyle and avoid that knee-jerk reaction that is also possible. I don’t know if it pays off in the long run, but I appreciate that experiment, because it might work better than what we’ve tried before.

Good luck with that. :+1:

The more I learn about PETA, in particular that their hypocrisy extends to killing en masse animals with a high chance of being adopted, the less benefit for the doubt I’m prepared to give them. I still think many of the people who support and donate to them are merely getting scammed by them. I hope for the sake of their own ethical integrity that those supporters realize what PETA is doing and move their support to advocacy groups that actually save animals.

People here aren’t disagreeing with you because you’re vegan. They’re disagreeing with you because you’re defending a hypocritical organization that dups its donors into helping to fund racist ads.

9 Likes

Perhaps these comments are providing PETA the opportunity to reflect on their devaluing important ethical concerns.

11 Likes

The fact that this is the only example you recognize as showing any prejudice on PETA’s part is telling…it tells me that it’s a waste of time to have a conversation with you on this issue.

8 Likes

General announcement to long time posters here: this is a good example of what I mean when I say that PETA fanaticism makes things worse for the rights and welfare of both animals and vegans/vegetarians.

10 Likes

heheeh thanks !! sorry , i missed that !!
in one frontal lobe and out the other , as the old saying goes , eh ?
nevermind ~

2 Likes

I wonder what (if any) victory PETA fans would cite as their greatest achievement to date on advancing the cause of animal welfare.

4 Likes

Apparently all of them except that one unique time when they brought autism into it.

2 Likes

What I mean is, can they point to any examples of animal welfare laws that were passed because of their activism or studies showing that their ads have successfully converted more people to veganism?

3 Likes

That Kittens of the Sea campaign made sure I eat tuna and never wanted to try cat, is that a win?

6 Likes