The Root on that PETA ad, the NFL, and frustration with it all

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/01/the-root-on-that-peta-ad-the.html

5 Likes

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… Michael Harriot is a national treasure!

30 Likes

Wait, is PETA an all-white organization?

I believe they accept idiots of all skin colours.

11 Likes

I think it’s more accurate to categorize PETA as a ruthless animal-killing organization.

11 Likes

Interesting avatar. Didnt PETA lead the charge to give the copyrights of your avatar to the animal that took the picture?

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ll ever understand if PETA is a cult, a right-wing false-flag operation, a nihilistic Dada performance, an actual animal-rights group with unwaveringly bad judgment, or just a sack of profoundly unwell people. Or somehow all of the above.

Anyway, having their dials set way, way off is fully on brand.

24 Likes

Every few months Peta reminds me that I need to make a stack of “vegans against Peta” stickers…

17 Likes

There’s a purveyor of jerked foodstuffs in town - some vegan, mostly exotic meats, they made Boingboing with their earthworm jerky a while ago - who sells a brand-infringing t-shirt reading “People Eating Tasty Animals.”

3 Likes

Seems PETA has learned nothing from Wyatt Cenak’s brutal takedown:

I love that bit. And Wyatt.

10 Likes

I had to Snopes that one because, What the actual fuck!?!

I’ve never been able to muster any more respect for PETA than for their core ethics, which seem to be utter horseshit. What monsters.

11 Likes

In the end, they’ve succeeded in getting people talking about them again, which is no doubt all they really wanted.

Does anyone even think about their sex ads anymore? Gotta push that envelope somehow.

2 Likes

I see that on bumper stickers around here, most often on pickup trucks with other winning stickers about their personal arsenal, the ever classy Calvin peeing on something, and some combination of Repugnantcan presidential candidate stickers going back to 2004. Oh, and can’t forget the Confederate flag front plate and quite possibly a Salt Life rear window sticker (never mind that this is almost 400 miles from the closest ocean).

8 Likes

Oh wow. I thought PETA was against pet ownership.,. That lady got some ‘splaining to do. (Unless she’s a hired gun, in which case she isn’t being paid half enough)

“ So, yes I’m conflicted. I can’t decide if my position of “Fuck PETA” is strong enough to overcome my “Fuck the NFL” stance.”

Obligatory

10 Likes

That’s shocking. I didn’t believe it at first, and also had to look it up on snopes. If you’re going to take a hard moral stance, at leasst be consistent!

3 Likes

And perhaps some elegant noisettes de trucque?

3 Likes

It’s a tourist town, there’s a number of that sort being catered to. But hey, we’re actually on the water.

I will now and forever refer to them as such! Thank you for bringing more elegance to my life! :grin:

Maybe not the whole thing, but