Petal, Mississippi, bans vaping

I’ve been around people who exhaled huge clouds of tobacco-scented vapor upwind of non-vapers, but were awful smug about no one being able to stop them because it technically wasn’t smoking. No skin off my back if there’s pushback from anyone.

It’s a drug (nictotine) delivery device. As such, it’s under the regulatory authority of the FDA. (10 CFR 820 if that’s your bag). Unless the manufacturers of the device and juice are following GMP you should have caution.

If you buy random “nutritional supplements” at GNC or don’t give a shit which Central American nation produces your candy, go for it–it won’t be any the worse and you’re an adult.

At some point a few folks will die or get sick/disabled by some laced batch out of China and the FDA will step in and take measures (cf. New England Compounding Pharmacy). This is the way of the modern world.

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

6 Likes

For roughly 10-60,000 USD there are some quite nice analytical rigs on the market out there.

…we need the prices of this kind of stuff to go down by couple orders of magnitude. Where’s the antiterrorism hysteria and low cost defensive gear development when we need it?

1 Like

I’ve seen some of that sort of analysis done. The problem is, any test only tells you about that brand, and probably that batch of that brand, given the lack of regulation and the possibility of forged items entering the supply chain (it seems to happen for just about every sort of good, including things like tattoo ink, in China). So if one didn’t mind testing the stuff every single time one bought it…

And that’s why we need the analytical instruments to be small, cheap, plentiful, and everywhere.

New Orleans’ indoor vaping ban has already gone into effect… miss that one?

If it’s not the process of vaping which could be harmful, but rather the mixture, then why not direct their legality towards the mixtures? There is no reason why this should affect someone vaping cannabis or damiana when those don’t have mystery chemicals in them. That’s like outlawing “pills” because some are bad for you.

If people don’t believe that the quality control and product hygiene in China is poor, I work in a workplace with stringent drug testing. We had two severe spates of drug test failures, both confined to fairly small workgroups who were regularly tested. It turns out that one had banded together and bulk imported workout supplements from China and one batch was contaminated with Amphetamines (some of the powder was tested by the company which just provided enough of a dose to kick up their levels.) The other group had found a cheap local source that was contaminated with opiates.
Given the lack of regulation of vaping fluid production it makes you wonder what is in some of it.

I disagree with the ban, but the constant whine about regulations is bunk.

The usual ingredients are Vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Natural and/or Artificial Flavoring, and Nicotine. Sometimes water is added to it as well. Linked below is a study of the comparison what is inhaled from traditional cigarettes (Marlboro and L&B) and commercially available e-cigs (blu and Skycig). It also shows a breakdown of the liquid that is used in the e-cigs. This study was sponsored by Lorillard Tobacco, makers of Newports and blu eCigs.

1 Like

I work for a vape shop in my area. 100% of our ecig liquids comes from American based companies. We sell over 40 brands of juice and about 100 different flavor combinations. All of them have 4 ingredients. Vegetable Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Natural and/or Artificial Flavoring, and Nicotine. Sometimes water is added.

Uh I do not know where you are getting this information but that is completely false. Below is a study of a comparison between traditional cigarettes and commercially available ecigs.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230014002505

This moratorium on banning must be curtailed!

1 Like

in nyc, it’s now legally treated as smoking for “public use” purposes. i imagine that it’s mostly because of asshats like that, and i can understand why.

i do try to be discreet with my vaping, partly out of civility and partly because it just makes you look ridiculous anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.