Pete Buttigieg tells people who blame "the door" to STFU

Originally published at: Pete Buttigieg tells people who blame "the door" to STFU | Boing Boing

11 Likes

The victim-blaming in these mass shootings is downright disgusting.

Unless you’re the President or the Pope you are almost certainly living your life in such a way that you’d easily be vulnerable to a mass shooter in most public settings.

40 Likes

People who live in gated communities see gates as the solution to all problems.

16 Likes

And if you are the president, with all the security that that entails, you still have an 8% chance of being assassinated, so perhaps insufficient security measures are not the problem.

23 Likes

“Blame the door!”

At what point in time were all doors replaced with these new doors that are apparently catnip to school shooters? What happened to the old 90’s doors? Are they in a field or landfill somewhere?

Does anyone have specs on these amazing doors, or are they like 60’s moon tech that we can’t recreate because they run on Cobol or made of rare Noshootyite?

There’s a lot of questions for these door people.

22 Likes

They will blame it on anything to deflect from discussing rising health care costs, child care, a living wage, affordable housing, clean air and water, good jobs, etc…

Keeping guns a single issue for the ballot box is key. It’s really all they have.

18 Likes

And where can we find some of those doors like they have in Europe, Japan, Australia, Canada and pretty much everywhere else in the world?

22 Likes

IKEA?

12 Likes

Assign a Hodor to every school.

18 Likes
20 Likes

Well, that and enforced pregnancy, hating on the not-whites and the trans-gayz, protecting the threatened Jeezus, and cheering on Brandon.

19 Likes

Thanks, I’m happy to learn about that kind of shit design!

Kinda sucks for Norman tho that bad door design is named after him.

10 Likes

Statistically, gated communities have similar levels of crime to similar neighborhoods without gates.

6 Likes

I really hate the way people are trying to use school shootings as an excuse to make schools ever more prison like.

20 Likes

I’m sure it’s just supply chain issues

2 Likes

It’s not just schools, which makes it worse. I’ve seen a few clips of these GOP pols saying a single door is the solution. When people bring up fire safety, they shrug it off. We’ve had too many cases of bad housing design leading to needless deaths because of that same attitude. Ultimately, they just don’t care about the people in those buildings. They don’t care about the kids getting shot, either. We know this is just more of their same old tired playbook and keep trying to get their supporters to listen and make different choices in the next election cycle to make this stop. Time will tell if enough of them are fed up this time.

18 Likes
30 Likes

I’ve probably mentioned this before, a friend told me at their school the current protocol is to ignore alarms until confirmed by the front office over the PA since fire alarms are often pulled by shooters trying to get people to empty classrooms. I’m sure PA systems, like elevators, shouldn’t be relied on in case of a fire and adding this extra step reduces fire safety and draws out a response.

But after looking around a bit, I’m sure the risk of gun death is much more likely than in a fire death at school. The most recent school fire with more than 10 deaths was in 1958. About 4,000 school building fires occur each year, about 75 injuries, and fatalities are rare PDF warning. I couldn’t easily find gun deaths specific to kids in schools per year, but we can all name a few that had 10+ deaths that have happened since 1958.

12 Likes

The doors you wonder about… they are hiding in plain sight on any and every building we have because, uh, really doors don’t really mean shit. But you, like all of us, know that.

2 Likes

So instead of a situation where one mass shooter can kill a couple dozen students we’d have situation where one arsonist could kill a few hundred students.

6 Likes