Peter Thiel's lawyer threatens Gawker for talking about Donald Trump's "hair"

I guess Gawker are going to have toupee the price.

11 Likes

If you can’t talk about a potential POTUS’s hair, he can’t be a POTUS. That is all.

7 Likes

I’ve posted it here several times, but wth, never not post Jonathan Meades’ blessed piss-take of Trump from the first installment of his 2009 three-part BBC series about Scotland.

And in the kingdom of the bald, the man who says his roots are in the Hebrides is king, though Hebrides is a most unusual way to describe one’s armpit and groin. His career has been one long flirtation with success; if you suck cess, you get success. He is richer than the richest man in the world, who is MacDonald Trump. He creates his own body weight in wealth every ten seconds. None of his businesses has gone bust owing nine hundred million pounds, so the decision to give him planning permission to build New Trumpton-On-Sea is a farsighted one.

7 Likes

I woulda never stooped to read that article if it wasn’t for the attempt to silence it. Weird, eh - there ought to be a name for this kind of strange side effect!

12 Likes

The republican utopia is coming into focus:

• smoking pile of rubble whose constitution contains nothing but a second amendment
14 Likes

haha…yes, certainly a case of the streisand effect in action

3 Likes

Is someone able to be declared a vexatious litigant in the American legal system?

6 Likes

Well, firms often have their own legal council on the payroll. But in so far as anyone sells their services for either a salaray or a fee then, yes, he’s “for hire.” Be that as it may, and given all the possible reactions to this story that you could have, objecting to a description of a method of remuneraiton must rank as one of the more… unexpected ones?

7 Likes

sorry everyone has to wig out about it

6 Likes

Could someone with legal expertise clarify:

Presumably, POTUS as other Elected Politicians has some kind of immunity when in Office. If Trump becomes POTUS how would this effect the pending court cases (of which apparently there are numerous)?

Would he no longer be ‘sueable’? Do all his unpaid creditors / suppliers and those who are plagued by his illegal employment practices need to file a legal suit prior to the election?

Have there been previous POTUS candidates with similar legal track records?

In Italy Berlusconi and Co practiced this as a game, there was a stage where the sole purpose of gaining elected office was parliamentary immunity…

Would be really interested in the practicalities of a POTUS who is being sued (mostly successfully) by 100s of his employees for illegal employment practices and more.

2 Likes

A comb up-‘n’-over?

I think they were using the term to distinguish Harder from Thiel’s staff counsel. It would be a much brighter line if a lawyer employed by – rather than retained by – Thiel had sent the threat.

4 Likes

I read it as a reference to gun-for-hire (though maybe you’re saying you did too).

4 Likes

on a related note

7 Likes

Wow, that’s almost like a … strange side effect. Or something!

:wink:

1 Like

There are no heroes in this discussion…just villains.

It’s a battle between a bunch of psychopathic powerful semi-toddlers who are using everything in their power to hurt each other, and have been for quite some time.

I wish Gawker didn’t have so many people falling into that 'it’s totally okay to out the Conde Nast CEO and clutter up Gizmodo, IO9, and Kotaku with crap like this…

It was the same with the Hogan bit, AND the Conde Nast outing (they just couldn’t shut up about it). Those derps have NO discipline or decency and are no better than Peter Thiel.

I used to go to IO9 and the other sites to get AWAY from that sort of crap. As far as I’m concerned putting those sites in responsible hands can’t happen soon enough…though given how weak a platform Kinja is I might just go to the community blog the locals are working on and never look back.

5 Likes

You forgot the binders full of pregnant people who can’t access medical care, but will go to jail if the pregnancy doesn’t go well. But, to be fair, they are hard to see, hiding behind the mountains of rubble.

7 Likes

I could unpack it, it just seemed like a weird attempt to throw shade at the guy.

3 Likes

Before Peter Thiel became infamous for being a thin-skinned scheming billionaire who secretly financed Hulk Hogan’s lawsuit in a petty bid for revenge against Gawker for being mean to him

Wait, are we cool with forcibly outing people and publishing sex tapes without permission now? Peter Thiel is settling a very troubling precedent, and Hulk Hogan appears to be a racist asshole, but that doesn’t make what Gawker did to either of them okay.

It’s a tricky situation because there aren’t any sympathetic people involved pretty much anywhere, but Gawker did deserve to get taken down for their long history of horrible, vicious behavior.

“First they came for Gawker. And I did not speak out. Because fuck Gawker.” --Popehat

4 Likes