Pharma price-gouger Martin Shkreli smirks at Congress, refuses to answer questions

Same. I’ve been dancing a few times a week recently, but it’s not really enough.

3 Likes

That’s what I need to do! That’s what I used to do, back when I was in my 20s… I need to go out clubbing on some regular basis, dancing to the oldies (ie, 80s music) and I’d be much fitter.

5 Likes

Okay, this was a House hearing, so we’re looking at 9ish years. Part of Turing Pharmaceuticals’s trick was figuring out a clever anti-competitive wrinkle in the FDA approval process that had previously not been exploited. The House is barely involved in creating that process (the FDA is part of the Executive branch), but whatever previous law it is you’re concerned about, which Reps. in this investigative committee were sponsors/supporters of the problem bills you’re thinking of that Turing Pharmaceuticals was exploiting, and how was the company exploiting them specifically? Again, if the Congress sees that there are problems with laws, wouldn’t it make sense for the legislature to look into this? If they make a mistake is it better that they ignore it? Isn’t this a rare case of them actually doing their job?

It sounds like you’re upset about the House looking into an anti-competitive exploitation of a regulatory failure but you haven’t explained what these odd toed ungulates did that’s a problem here specifically. It’s incredibly strange. Of all the things that these baboons have flung their poo at, why would this be a thing to pick on? It’s like the one time they’re not massively screwing up or screwing us that you’ve decided to single out.

Yeah, they may be popular and successful entertainers, but I suspect that there’s only so much mocking etc… that one can safely do to the clan.

Ratface here may be pissing off people who still have, let’s say, “less than up and up contacts” that would have no problem adding to their personal bodycount.

1 Like

Looking back at your first comment, you said pretty much the exact opposite of that. He was arrested for fraud while running Retrophin defrauding MSMB. The investigations are about anti-competitve exploitation of FDA rules while running Turing. This is also why there’s next to no chance of him actually indicting himself further in testimony about running Turing.

1 Like

bad person?

Please don’t conflate criminal with bad person.

It equates law enforcement with simple moralizing, and that’s pretty fucking weaselly.

No wonder that we’re worried by the TPPA, given that ratifying means that signatories’ law changes will have to meet US standards of “compliance”. :fearful:

Also swing dancing is ridiculously fun and many of the basic steps can be learned in a couple of short lessons with an experienced dancer. The cool thing about it is that you can swing or tango (but that’s a trickier dance) to virtually any music with different timings, so you can wow people at a club with something many have never seen and most have never seen live.

Since I stopped teaching kendo and jujitsu, dancing is my exercise. I absolutely love it and hate hate hate health gyms (distinguished from dojos) with their mold and sweat and vain preening idiots and gerbil wheels and light pollution (TVs). Did I mention I hate gyms. 'Cause I hate gyms.

6 Likes

I used to swing dance. I did the Chaleston at a rave once. I got laid because of that.

7 Likes

For dancing Charleston? It’s perfect for a rave and can be made very compact for a swing dance.

2 Likes

My Charleston looks more like I’m gearing up to be attacked by Don Quixote. Something something windmills…

5 Likes

Can be that too. It’s still my favorite dance after Milonga. Rarely do I fail to inject a little Charleston into my Lindy or West Coast unless the song is really slow.

1 Like

Oh yeah. It works for anything in an even time signature as long as it’s quick enough to keep you from staying off balance too long. It’s hard to backstep kick if you’re going at ballad pace (of course doubling up is always an hilarious option.)

1 Like

When I first read your post, I thought it said you got laid out. I was visualizing some hapless rolling raver accidentally connecting with a misplaced airplane :joy:

It’s not even that hard a dance. I mean, yes, hard to master, but not to get competent at. But it has an exotic appeal, especially in towns without a sizable swing dance community. I particularly like to go out to honky-tonks and put a little swing into my line dancing, just to see who notices. Started many an interesting conversation that way, and it helps be decide who to two-step with (which is de rigueur here in Texas).

1 Like

I don’t know, as much as I dislike the guy I’ve always wanted to go before Congress and piss them off, although I guess I would want to do it in a better cause than this.

I’ve just been through Google images. There’s not a single image where he doesn’t look like a smug asshole. The guy’s just got a resting backpfeifengesicht.

1 Like

nope. generic drugs use different fillers and manufacturing processes, it is not unimportant that the bioequivalence has to be tested.

3 Likes

Exactly, all joking aside, if I was Shkreli, and I was inevitably headed for a prison stint, I probably wouldn’t post videos of myself flanked with uh, luchador gangsters, mocking and threatening a guy named Ghostface Killa.

1 Like

My comment is predicated is entirely built around the fact that Congress regularly has these show investigations where they act shocked and then do nothing. AGAIN, I believe Shkreli deserves to be in jail for his other crimes unrelated. And to clarify, I believe Congress should stop having these show ‘trials’, because this is what they are – a court of public opinion as they are intended to impugner others with no teeth. They should stop having these unless there is a clear path to changing the law. Congress rarely does this. It is a show to distract from the fact that they won’t do anything.

Yes? Ok. I said that. Can people not read that I’m not talking AT ALL about him being CEO, but the time of all this. It was a long time frame of fraud, which included his time as CEO of the pharmaceutical company but not CENTERED on his ROLE of CEO. Is it really this hard to comprehend? Or do people revel in finding a single nitpicky thing that changes nothing and have to focus on this. Again, he deserves to go to jail for his crimes…what was investigated by congress was not a crime. However, they were proceeding as if it were.

More having to clarify…CONGRESS was investigating him being a bad person. CONGRESS was not investigating the crime. CONGRESS was having a show trial which they could have used to ask questions that are based around his actual crimes, which he was not called in to account for, which means that any answer could be held against him. Please don’t conflate a show trial for what his real trial should be.

Yup. More than this, it changes laws within the US to be in line with a treaty that were signed with few actually reading any of this. The US gets MOST of the power out of this treaty and if you are an American, it will help you. Except in the fact that it is taking away a lot of freedoms some of the people on this site take seriously and have fought successfully to kill individual bills, but all of this has been added right back in with a less than democratic process. And instead of Congress actually fighting this, they signed it without reading it.

So the people who need these medications can (1) buy them from the guy who does have the FDA’s blessing at whatever price he chooses to charge, or (2) do without until the FDA gets a round tuit. You like those options?

Personally I would rather allow all American patients and hospitals to buy drugs anywhere in the world they want, but back in 2009-10 the super geniuses who designed the ACA got rolled for suckers by the pharma industry, so that ain’t happening any time soon.

1 Like