Phoenix police officers circulated coins encouraging cops to shoot anti-Trump protesters in the groin

Originally published at: Phoenix police officers circulated coins encouraging cops to shoot anti-Trump protesters in the groin | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Arizona is a Police State, in every aspect of the term. I beg my Son to decamp as soon as fucking possible every time we speak.

31 Likes

after spending 20 years in that hellhole, I wholeheartedly concur.
I do not encourage the ex, nor our tragedy of a daughter to leave the state. they belong there.

18 Likes

Under color of law.

10 Likes

25 Likes

It would be nice to think some of those thugs started rethinking their allegiances after the January 6th Insurrection demonstrated just how much regard the MAGA crowd has for law enforcement, but somehow I doubt it.

27 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that challenge coins are an American Military tradition. And that their adoption by police is one of those disturbing militarization things.

Cops got into this as part of emulating and viewing themselves as soldiers, and policing as war.

45 Likes

the union: We continue to support the due process rights of our officers and will monitor each case closely.
in other words no matter what our members do, we will back them up.
abolish police unions. that would be a good start.

26 Likes

But the due process rights of civilians. . . not so much.

28 Likes

Ironic that one of the few movies to take place in Phoenix, and partially filmed there, is a gritty 1970’s action flick about the one relatively good cop standing up to a crapton of corrupt cops in the Phoenix PD. It’s called The Gauntlet, describing the literal gauntlet the good guy with an armored bus took through downtown to get a witness to court to testify against the whole department as his coworkers (bad guys with guns) shot at him.

Irony… Clint Eastwood is the main character.

26 Likes

I’ve actually seen that one, a long time ago when I was a kid.

SMH

13 Likes

There were a fair number of former and current cops in the crowd, and some of them even attacked capitol police officers. Because the whole “pro-cop” stance, even among police, is about adhering to a certain set of values, e.g. maintaining white supremacy, and is perfectly happy to destroy cops that don’t go along with that. They only selectively see attacks on individual cops as attacks on cops as a whole. So yeah, I suspect not a lot of cops, outside the capitol police (and probably not all of them, either) were upset with what happened, much less had it challenge their support for the MAGA crowd.

15 Likes

Apples, barrel, spoil, blah, blah, blah.

Police unions have got to go—at least in their capacity to protect the absolutely indefensible from any sort of consequences.

The other thing that’s got to go is this whole police sub-culture of stupid things like challenge coins, and car window stickers that all but give drivers a free pass from being stopped or ticketed for infractions.

13 Likes

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

10 Likes

I’d like to see some traditional punishment meted out. An eye for an eye, a nut for a nut.

12 Likes

Shoot, if Trump had won another four years maybe The Franklin Mint could have released some great Fascist challenge coins.

5 Likes

Coming from a self-described Florida Man, that’s saying something.

9 Likes

@FloridaManJefe

I know, right? I was stuck in the Florida hellhole for 10 years that felt like 20. Not the Keys, but Gainesville, the armpit of Florida.

11 Likes

Some cops are literal, actual Nazis? I am shocked. This is my shocked face.

6 Likes

Needs more eyebrow.

4 Likes