Phoenix's police union has a secret deal with the department to purge dirty cops' disciplinary records

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/10/kevin-curbstomper-mcgowan.html

4 Likes

17 Likes

There is only one valid reason to purfe any disciplinary record: official exoneration. And even then it’s better to say they were punished but later exonerated so that you have real disclosure. Otherwise it’s just asking for more abuse to happen.

18 Likes

5 Likes

525 out of 3000 is 17.5%

Kinda puts the lie to “A few bad apples.”

20 Likes

Interesting that it’s 600 incidents spread across 525 cops. This suggests that there isn’t a few loose cannons driving up the numbers and that most of the cops with a record only have a single incident on it.

1 Like

Police unions across the country should be considered criminal organizations, and their leadership jailed for conspiracy and aiding & abetting crimes committed by the police. Their assets should be seized and used to pay settlements to victims denied justice. Sadly, I don’t see anyone with the huevos to do this.

10 Likes

Thanks to the purge, there’s no telling what the single incidents were for each of the offending officers.

3 Likes

Those are just the ones who were caught and investigated.

Maybe most cops are not actively bad apples, but almost all the rest are passively bad apples by overlooking what the bad ones do.

5 Likes

Next up: some old IT dude at the department has been siphoning off a copy of all disciplinary records over the past 20 years and is ready to go public. Please let it be true.

11 Likes

Remember citizens, just keep repeating to yourself: it’s just a few bad apples. It’s just a few bad apples. It’s just a few bad apples…

3 Likes

That we know of

2 Likes

If you are a cop, and you know of a “bad apple” doing something wrong, and you don’t do anything about it, you are just as bad.

10 Likes

Arizona, the Mississippi of the South West. FACT!

5 Likes

Depends on where you put the line between “a few”, “many”, “too many” and “holy $&@% that’s a lot”. I’d put it in “too many”, personally.

1 Like

What I wanna know, is what is the magic sauce that police unions have? Cuz I want me some too. I would dearly love to have MY attendance, insubordination, theft, harassment, drug & alcohol incidents etc records suspended and sealed and burnt every year.

I mean if its good enough for our wonderful heroic police, it oughta be good enough for little old me too, huh?

2 Likes

The power of the police union?

“Do what we want or our members will shoot you, investigate themselves, and conclude there was no wrongdoing.”

5 Likes

It should be a state-wide statutory requirement that police discipline records are public.

2 Likes

Yup.

For an American cop to actually be investigated and found guilty of misconduct, the abuse has to be spectacularly blatant and the evidence unusually comprehensive. For every episode of police misconduct that is officially recorded, a vastly greater number slip under the radar. What you see here is very much just the tip of the iceberg.

A similar dynamic exists in relation to war crimes committed by American occupation troops.

8 Likes

See, when you say “huevos” (or “cojones”, for that matter)… and especially with an accent… they instantly stop listening to your suggestion.

It’s well known that cops (and their apologists) suck at math. That’s why they’re cops.

3 Likes