Photos from space of the northern California fires

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/08/photos-from-space-of-the-north.html

2 Likes

Anyone else feel like the earth has been putting the “Not intended for humans” signs up all over California for a long time?

2 Likes

The Salt Lake Valley is full of smoke from the California fires. For the last week the air quality has been deisgnated unhealthy. Which by Salt Lake winter standards is about normal.

2 Likes

That can be said about any place. Except The Salt Lake Valley. Brigham Young said so.

3 Likes

This makes Wayne Tracker happy.

European_Space_Agency_astronaut_Alexander_Gerst_node_full_image_2

Pssst Alex, get back to work and stop sightseeing! :slight_smile: (A former firefighter.)

2 Likes

Photos of the northern California fires from space

1 Like

Clearly they need more water.

3 Likes

I know where they can find some; I drove home in a torrential downpour that put inches of water on the road. It’s been raining something like at least four days a week for a month or so.

tumblr_pd3v0ofqxq1qz6f9yo1_500

6 Likes

I just saw some doofus explain that the reason California has wildfires is that we foolishly allow many of our rivers to flow all the way to the ocean.

6 Likes

heheh wow, but then again Donald Trump is President, ladies and gentlemen.

1 Like

That’s President Doofus to you, pal.

For those that don’t the joke, behold:

2 Likes

I have to wonder what he thinks is actually happening. Does he literally believe that firefighters can’t put out the fires because there isn’t enough water left to fill up the fire trucks due to regulations protecting endangered fish habitats?

3 Likes

It’s like I said in the other thread - it must be nice having the kind of child’s mind where every problem can be solved with the simplest and most obvious level of “why didn’t anybody think of this?” solutions.

3 Likes

“Lots of people say ‘you need to fight fire with fire.’ I said to myself, why not fight fire with water? Some of the most brilliant firefighting experts in the world have said that I’m a genius and that I probably could have saved the Twin Towers if I’d been there.”

3 Likes

The really sad thing is I just can’t tell if that’s a real quote or something made up.

This is the world we live in.

6 Likes

One of the most memorable things I’ve seen from a plane is the burning hills when I caught the redeye back from San Diego in 2008.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.