Photos: Hillary Rodham Clinton at 21

Let’s just give everyone a house and/or apartment and free food, maybe some clothes.

1 Like

If anyone still doubts that Republicans are doing this, they’ve already admitted it:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/17/1459991/rslc-gerrymandering-house/

More:

There’s also plenty of other evidence:

Excerpt from above link:

“… how did Republicans keep their House majority despite more Americans voting for the other party—something that has only happened three times in the last hundred years, according to political analyst Richard Winger? Because they drew the lines.”

And, of course, they plan to gerrymander 2016:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/rachelwitkin/republicans_plan_electoral_college_gerrymander_2016_election_president

The Republican mantra is: If you can’t win, CHEAT.

If the nation was mostly “right of center” as some espouse (including the corporate media), the Republicans wouldn’t have to resort to rampant gerrymandering like this. Not to mention their rampant voter suppression and disenfranchisement campaigns as well.

That’s why I disagree that the “consensus” is to the right of anything at all. Americans overwhelmingly espouse liberal values, and when politicians like Warren run on those values they win.

Agreed. That’s why it’s so frustrating that Warren won’t run. I’m not sure if her stubbornness is a sign that she’s a smart, careful strategist or milquetoast weakling who is blowing her prime opportunity waiting on that “perfect moment” that will never come. I feel the same with Bernie Sanders the longer he waits to announce.

Either way, those that say the majority of this nation are right wing conservatives (or even just right-leaning) aren’t basing that supposition upon proper evidence.

If the majority was right-leaning, there would have been no way in hell Obama would have won in a landslide victory with a 40 year high turnout when he ran on a progressive agenda that included a true single payer system for health care. Then, of course, when Obama and other Democrats didn’t later follow through on enough progressive agendas, the voter turnout went from a 40 year high to a historic 70 year low.

The Republicans know this and are shitting themselves. I just wish more progressive Americans would realize this as well and finally show some fucking solidarity. The media attempts to keep the majority left uncertain of themselves and their ability to organize, etc.

The left needs to stop being weak and falling for this bullshit. Leftists and center moderates keep saying how stupid the right is while falling for the corporatist right “dog and pony show” over and over again via media indoctrination sprinkled with a weak, nihilistic “voting doesn’t matter anyway” bullshit mantra.

I think the message needs to be spread that if people support progressive causes but they don’t vote (and don’t work to get others to vote), they’re still a part of the problem. They’ve been duped.

1 Like

Well, the majority of real Americans. Wink wink.

To be fair, the Dems have gerrymandered a few states too - but fewer and less obviously. Here in Ohio we had a referendum to have a non-partisan commission draw the lines. But it failed, of course. $70 million vs “unelected bureaucrats.”

You’re implying that the Democrats aren’t right of center. You may wish to examine that.

Well, that’s no good.

It wasn’t my intention to imply that, as I’ve repeatedly said the very opposite. Please do examine that I said “the nation”, not the Democratic party. The Democratic party does not currently represent the will of most of the nation.

If the Democratic party represented most of the nation, Obama and other top Democrats would have been a lot less hawkish or downright anti-war. This is what he promised the nation in his presidential campaign. This is what most of the nation wanted.

If they had represented the nation, the party would have fought hard for a true single payer system, not Obama/RomneyCare which was set up by the insurance industry, etc. Obama promised single payer when he ran for president and won in a landslide.

The Democrats would’ve also been anti-bankster (as he promised in his initial campaign) if they had fought for the will of most of the nation.

Those were progressive issues that the majority of the American public voted him in for. This nation is a progressive majority.

It’s no surprise to me that after Obama and the Democratic party failed to follow through on those progressive agendas properly (or at all), voter turnout went from a 40 year high to a 70 year low.

Many of the elites within the Democratic party are very much a part of the corporatist right. Powerful Democrats such as Obama often use Republicans as scapegoats for both their actions and inactions. They do this in order to pander to many on the left while also appeasing the corporatist right at the same time.

The power players within the modern Democratic party are quite far to the right, in my opinion. That’s why I’ve repeatedly strategized for and supported paving the way for truly progressive third parties to take hold down the road. I also applaud attempts to reform the Democratic party within as well (see Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, etc.)

Of course, that’s not going to blind me to the fact that the Democratic party is still the overall lesser evil than the Republicans who blithely throw snow balls in the face of catastrophic climate change, either. :slight_smile:

No doubt. Gerrymandering has been with us from both side for a very long time. However, I think “fewer” is quite a bit of an understatement when comparing the two parties.

The rampant gerrymandering via the Republican party has been outright historic. As you may have seen via the links I added within my previous post, we’re now seeing the effect of Republican gerrymandering effects that has only happened several times in the last hundred years.

Not to mention the unfair advantage that Republicans garner from low-information (and misinformed) voters via their right wing radio machines (they run at a financial loss) and via our shitty electoral system that gives vastly more “votes” to rural people over those who live within cities.

The fact that Republicans lose any elections with all the advantages they have (through cheating) is a testament to the growing progressiveness of the American public.

2 Likes

Agreed!

2 Likes

Thanks, just had to repost that. It’s never said enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.