"Pickled People" were heads made out of stuffed panty hose and smushed into jars, and people in the 1970s bought them for fun

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/09/pickled-people-were-heads-made-out-of-stuffed-panty-hose-and-smushed-into-jars-and-people-in-the-1970s-bought-them-for-fun.html

4 Likes

My grandma liked these. I always thought they were freaky.
I remember a grade school art class where we tried making these.

6 Likes

We also made these in grade school art class. I’m pretty sure that my parents had mine on their kitchen shelf until they sold the house that I grew up in sometime in the later 1990s.

4 Likes

Here’s my mom’s jar… now my jar!

8 Likes

wow, nice throwback. i remember these now, but hadn’t thought of them in many, many years. i guess i’m surprised they were a product, like pet rocks. I thought everyone’s mom or grandmother made them, and just sold them at church craft fairs or whatever.

6 Likes

I don’t remember seeing “Pickled People” but I definitely remember these.

3 Likes

I am a child of the 70s but I don’t remember those.

I do remember apple head dolls though.

@SpunkyTWS I remember those, even Archie had one.

4 Likes

I remember these - don’t know if I just saw them in stores or if someone I knew had them, but they made it to New Mexico, at least. So weird…

“Ah you think vinegar is your ally? You merely adopted the brine. I was born in it, molded by it.”

5 Likes

I think we don’t fully appreciate quite how weird the 1970s were. And I don’t believe it was only the drugs. Maybe all that lime-green and burnt-orange poisoned people’s brains or something.

6 Likes

Somehow I’m sure that this lead to Bonsai Kitten.

6 Likes

I don’t remember apple head dolls, but I do remember Trip Shakespeare playing Applehead Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al_pcAZXbbY

1 Like

Didn’t Clarice Starling find a pickled person in The Silence of the Lambs?

2 Likes

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF
Ah the 70’s… What were we thinking?

1 Like

In my case, “Well, this all seems very weird and confusing, but mummy and daddy seem to be ok with it so I guess it must be cool and normal and any failure to understand it must be my fault.”

Turns out, the seventies really were that weird, and the “IDGI but everyone else seems ok with it so I’d better pretend it makes sense” never went away in my case.

5 Likes

It’s a long time since I’ve hooked someone with a Bonsai kitten link. I wonder if it’ll still work? :thinking:

This story reminds me that I still haven’t seen that Seth Rogen movie. Maybe I should check it out now that it’s on Amazon Prime.

Good to see I wasn’t the only person with one of these in the home growing up. I found it while cleaning up the basement with my mom over Christmas.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.