"Pickup artist" douche uses copyright to sue Youtube critics, fans raise $100K defense fund

Ever do any programming?

6 Likes

When my 15 year old nephew visited once from out of state, I found him one day on the couch, headphones on, yelling excitedly at his laptop screen. He explained that he was watching the reaction video to a videogame playthrough.
“Wait, so you’re not playing a game, or watching someone play a game, you’re watching a video of someone who’s watching a video of someone playing a game.”
“Yeah, why?”
That’s what he did pretty much every day, for four or five hours at a stretch.

I am old.

13 Likes

You mean … but … that would … oh my God …

My mind is blown. I think I need to go and lie down now.

1 Like

I’m always confused at how someone can make a decent living off of vlogging, but i don’t actively dislike (most of) them, how is that bothersome?

I’m much more angry that every previously written DIY how-to tutorial is now on Youtube with zero value-add. Some disassembly instructions benefit from video, but they’re in the severe minority for everything I want to know.

The answer to both of these problems/“problems” is that ad monetization is probably better on videos through Google’s own platform than individual websites.

PUA scum are objectively worse than casual nerd sexism, so certainly better than them, but he could certainly be better?

Seeing as they mostly fail when not using plants, they’re more about preying upon insecure men for buying their useless “products” and speeches, and selling the men on preying upon low self-esteem women.

1 Like

I don’t watch many Let’s Play videos (which is what those are called, not reaction videos… that’s another youtube genre) but i do get the appeal. Sometimes you watch it solely because you really like the personality or humor of a person. Other times someone might watch them because they’re more interested in how a game plays than what a person playing has to add (i’ve watch some Assasin’s Creed gameplay videos without commentary whatsoever). I really don’t think it’s any different than watching most things on TV.
I also enjoy some unboxing videos, but i collect vinyl figures so i like to have a good look at various series out there and i tend to like some channels over others for that kind of content.

1 Like

Just so I’m clear, what he was watching was a closeup of a person’s face who was describing and mocking a video they were watching (minimized in the corner) of another internet personality who was playing a game and commenting on it while playing – essentially MST’ing a play-through of a game that was itself being MST’ed. Is that a “Let’s Play” video? My nephew just called it a “reaction video”.

It’s extremely different than anything on TV, which I guess is the appeal?

That does sound more like a reaction video, i just had an impression of him watching the original playthrough :slight_smile: assumption on my end. I’m not fond of reaction videos of this sort, my brothers love them. Go figure.

Whether the content is sarcasm or not is irrelevant; if the rambling, eye-hurting run-on sentence (which is all I was referring to) was written as some kind of parody of a speaking/posting style I’m unfamiliar with, then well and good, but that in itself doesn’t count as a form of sarcasm by any proper definition.

Only today, I discovered the answer!

I was riding in my boss’s car, and he runs this awful right-wing talk radio, and Outraged White Lady phoned in to complain that the teevee called a bad person a “victim.” “At what point,” she asked, “do you lose the right to be called a victim?”

Right? Being called a victim is a right? Does it even matter who does the calling? And it dawned on me that she was having an argument with the Mommy in her head. Or maybe Daddy.

That’s who the amorphous blob is, really.

1 Like

I have arguments with the people in my head all the time. But they’re much more productive, and help me to get along with the people outside my head.

2 Likes

I’m no legal expert, but can’t the defense simply file a motion to have the suit ruled as frivolous litigation? Just because anyone can file a suit doesn’t automatically mean that you’re going to get “your day in court” and a judge to actually hear your BS argument.

1 Like

Well in this case the defense is fair use, which has to be proven in court… or something like that.
I’m more interested in knowing if they can prove that this accuser demanding “$1000 or we sue” constitutes extortion.

I know! If only someone would think of ways to use type (or format in general) to imply an idea! That would be great, wouldn’t it? But let me help you with this new thing called format (BTW, in MS Excel, you can usually find the “format” menu option by right-clicking within the spreadsheet–computers, amirite!?!).

Or, perhaps, you might’ve noticed the previous commenters who had more to say about how upset they were to find people making money from the internet, much less YouTube (gasp!), with these videos that were so horrible, oh the humanity of eyebrows or editing! How could they make money, or need a defense fund to protect them from what’s clearly a malicious attempt to silence critics, when all they do are these dumb videos???

But as the arbiter of content AND form, I’m sure you’ve already issued a verdict in the issue.

In any case, thank you for your opinion. You just hang on to that and I’ll call you next time I need it.

The pen is mightier than the sword–that’s in the volume, “Content and Form: An Arbiter’s Handbook”, so you’ll already have access. Also, when I speak, I use vocal fry as much as possible.

Yup. I learned this while watching a reaction video to a Let’s Calc video.

2 Likes

The run on sentences themselves are part of the sarcasm. They seek to emulate in written form a ranting, “you kids get off my lawn” style of reply.

That they hurt your eyes is merely a side benefit with which we pwn noob/pedants who derail comments threads.

4 Likes

I think the only way the judge could dismiss before trial is if the plaintiff doesn’t actually have legal standing to sue. For example, if they aren’t in anyway the allegedly damaged party. This has happened in several of the voter ID lawsuits, where an out of state entity has filed suit on behalf of local voters. In this case, he very clearly has legal standing. Whether or not his complaint has merit is something that has to be decided at trial. (IANAL, I just Google a lot)

Fair enough, and you’re probably right. It just seems like such a waste of time and an abuse of the legal system.

1 Like

YouTube stars :slight_smile:
And their reaction videos to President Trump.

Fuck this shit.

The next killer app is a stupidity filter.

2 Likes

For the record, I’m as against the sue-happy PUA douche as anyone; it’s just that the glob of type with no periods made my eyes bounce off it, nothing else.
Generally, your style of expression is annoying and makes me not care what you have to say just as long as I can avoid you being the one saying it.