Lawsuit over YouTube persona Poppy ends in settlement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/lawsuit-over-youtube-persona.html

4 Likes

That’s fascinating; I love seeing other worlds, seeing their struggles and problems, their special forms of crazy.

10 Likes

I wonder if Daren tried to sue Daren 2 from Bewitched.

8 Likes

PR Campaign Faux Fight: Success!

8 Likes

If they ever remake ‘Logan’s Run’ Poppy will be on big screens chanting “die” while people over 30 are killed willingly.

I’d watch that.

5 Likes

Wait, did Poppy Copy get copied, or was Poppy Copy the copy?

On second, thought, nvrmnd. I just realized that I don’t care.

18 Likes

#deletefacebook

Roger That!

8 Likes

Can a clown copyright their paint? Or is it just code of clown-do?

2 Likes

The first thing that comes to mind:

9 Likes

My sympathies go out to Sheets; Mixter is clearly a douche. That said, the content for Mars Argo and Poppy is vacuous, insubstantial, and reminiscent of trying-too-hard-to-be-cool art school students looking for a quick buck to pay for their cocaine habit; I think this whole fight would be much more interesting to the public if it was over the ownership of art that wasn’t superficial. As it is, the story just serves to publicize both parties’ videos, which don’t appear to function as art, but instead purely as income / hype generators. Also, if this persona was developed 4+ years ago, isn’t it now a little stale?

3 Likes

“Imitation is the sincerest form of television” – Fred Allen

5 Likes

I’m confused. Which one’s the AI again?

2 Likes

Ah, precious hipster kids…

Poppy hangs off the semiotic steet-cleaning truck sent in to the eighties nostalgia party by mainstream media, indiscriminately picking out a good bit here and there.

10 Likes

Setting aside the abuse (which we obviously shouldn’t) the saddest part about this is that three people whose bread and butter is detached irony can’t take a detached look at the irony of their situation.

9 Likes

3 Likes

Or go with the book age of 21 (or
18 it has been awhile )

4 Likes

There’s a remake in the works!

Time for Poppy to get on board.

2 Likes

Clowns do, in fact, have their own system for registering their exclusive designs:

7 Likes

except with brunettes so it’s better.