Picular, a search engine for colors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/29/picular-a-search-engine-for-c.html

5 Likes

Huh! I never knew the pale rust puce, just the bright green puce.

3 Likes

How very useful.

1 Like

If you mouse over the thing in the bottom right corner of each swatch, it shows you the image that generated the color.

That green one is literally from a picture that says “not puce.”

7 Likes

I’m severely color-blind, so I can’t quite appreciate this as color-sighted people can, but it’s interesting to me. Primary colors are obvious, secondary colors are too (although green doesn’t play nicely); I have a hard time detecting any color at all if they’re very light or very dark. Minor differences in the same shade are often invisible to me.

Searching for “yellow” and “red” in Picular brings up swatches that, to my eye, are perfectly identical – though I can see by the numbering, they’re not. My wife has excellent color-vision, so I’m looking forward to talking to her about it, and hearing how three “identical” yellow swatches are “actually” different. I’m guessing subtle variations in green – one has no green at all, one has a little, one has more. Will I be right? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

But does it assign AI generated names to the results?

3 Likes

Expected more orange…

3 Likes

For some reason I always though puce was a bright magenta-pink.

2 Likes

I wonder if you’re thinking of fuchsia? (I used to always mix up the names for fuschia, chartreuse, and puce.)

2 Likes

Not only did I not know what color puce is, I don’t even know how to pronounce it.

4 Likes

You could well be right.

I think we should invent the colour puchseuse, exemplified by the kind of pavement decoration that results from an evening of alternating between strawberry daiquiris and shots of creme de menthe.

3 Likes

i read the the green puce was derived from the word pus, but it was in a fictional story, so who knows?

I used to hear that color name used when I worked in a cheap chain of art supply stores.* It was in New England, and the customers calling the magenta-pink ‘puce’ were very insistent that they were correct and the rest of the world was wrong - about everything.

I heard it again when I lived the upper Mid-West. A realtor described it as the ‘the inside of a Bing cherry’, and it was the one ‘real’ (decadent) color the colorless population of the upper Mid-West would allow themselves as a rare accent…

*Not a Michael’s, but really, really close.

2 Likes

It’s amusing enough but it doesn’t know anything. I tried “root beer” and got a batch of mostly reds and yellow-oranges, not one swatch that resembled root beer. Likewise “vanilla” gets a few beiges or browns but also a lot of yellow-greens and one incomprehensible red, “ivory” nets exactly two swatches that might be that colour, and “asphalt” produces far more blues and yellow-oranges than it ought to. It’s fine with obvious terms like “grass” or “ruby” but a Google search and an eyedropper tool is just as productive, to be honest.

2 Likes

@RedFury

I’ve always known it as the color of eutrophied pond-scum green.

3 Likes

I was looking for something like this! Now I have a cool color palette for my website!

2 Likes

Not working for me.

It could not find the color aubergine. I give it a fail.

3 Likes

You have to type in “color aubergine.” Of course, that gets results on any search engine!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.