Pies Are Round: why a big pizza is a better deal

Because it’s a French word, not an English one (bleach).

1 Like

I agree. We usually order the next-to-largest size (I think 22") because it holds together better than the largest. Fewer leftovers, too, and unlike many people I don’t think leftover pizza is all that.

Working in a pizza shop I had to explain this to people constantly.

“The 14” pizza cost more then double what the 7" costs"

It got to the point where I finally figured out to hold the two boxes up together where you can instantly see that 7" on covers on corner of the 14"

1 Like

But what do you do when javel water is the mot juste?

In English, it isn’t the mot juste, it’s just a bit of your native language popping up in your English because it sounds like that might be an English word. Happens all the time. Or if French isn’t your native language, it’s an expression of your Quebec-anglo-influenced-by-French-probably-without-your-knowledge nature. Also happens all the time.

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be filed under “no shit”? Isn’t everything cheaper per unit when bought in larger quantities?

Since cold pizza is the breakfast of the gods (and goddesses), I’m at a loss to understand what you mean by waste.

2 Likes

The problem is people miss the point that pizza more then doubles in size as the diameter doubles. I would have this conversation with people multiple times a day when I worked in a pizzeria.

Um, by “balance sheet” you seem to mean “income statement”. Stocks vs flows. Big difference, accounting-wise. This post has been a good example of excellent pedantic work by your readers. That is all.

1 Like

Nope. Have you ever noticed how the 12 and 24 packs of Coke jump up and down in price? Very frequently, the smaller pack has a lower unit cost.

This analysis sucks. It’s not the area of the pizza that is important, it is how much food you get for your buck. The larger pizza is maximizing its area by thinning the crust; the smaller pizza’s ratio of thick crust to surface area might make it a better deal than the surface area analysis shows.

A better analysis would be how much weight/ dollar are you getting for the different size pies.

I like to think I’ve got a very robust English vocabulary as a broadly educated native speaker, but I’ve never come across “javel” before.

Even now I’m not certain what to make of it, even with search engine assistance. Apparantly there’s an English word “javel” that’s now archaic, which used to be a synonym for “vagabond”, but that doesn’t seem to make any sense.

The other meaning I’ve found is French, “javel” meaning bleach - combined with related results for the phrase “eau de javel”, also a term for bleach, that matches the structure “javel water”, with the “eau de” portion presumably being that odd, non-literal, slightly poetic usage which refers more to a liquid substance than to actual water.

The problem is, in the context of the rest of your post I can’t tell if that’s correct at all, because you were talking about actual bottled water beforehand! Consequently I can’t be sure if you switched to a similar but distinct concept - trying to buy a bottle of bleach - or whether you were continuing in the line of buying bottled water and expanding upon some specific variety of bottled water I’m unable to parse or otherwise figure out.

Worse still, you mention spellcheck, which makes it impossible to be sure that “javel” is even the right word and not a typo or autocorrect error or something! Mon dieu! If only I spoke French! :blush:

Wait… I’ve got it! You’re from Quebec, I’d wager! :wink:

If cost is an issue, flour, water, yeast, canned tomatoes and cheese are cheap, especially in bulk. You can freeze cheese for a bit. There are plenty of easy no-knead recipes for pizza, you can make your pizza to suit, any toppings. You can make a big batch of dough once a week, then use it for pizza, calzones, lavash, nan, foccaccia, rolls, garlic bread. If your pizza doesn’t come out looking pretty, fold it over and say it’s a calzone.

In addition, pizza can be made from almost any breadstuff that might be lying around one’s kitchen; notable choices include pita, naan, tortillas, and (what the U.S. calls) English muffins.

With bottled water, it makes sense to me - the water is worth approximately nothing. What you’re paying for is the convenience of having water in a bottle of a size that makes sense for the thing you want to do with it.

If you want a bottle to put in your backpack so you can have a drink when you’re thirsty, a 1L or 500 mL bottle is probably much better than a 4L bottle - so it’s worth more in that case.

If you want a supply of water to keep all weekend beside your tent at a campground, a 20L jug is probably much better than 40 500 mL bottles.

I worked in pizza joints starting in high school and all through college. In my first job at Little Ceasars I was told that our cheapest pizza was a large onion pizza. Cost $.18 in ingredients. That’s some cheap food. The most expensive was a special pepperoni pizza that had exactly 50 slices of pepperoni on it and it still cost less than $2.

See, but they’re not factoring in the environmental or social costs of subsidization, production, consumption, and treatment of/for their “food”…

So, volume?

8 Likes

this does not factor in the cost of a refrigerator with a 22"squared shelf space to accommodate the left over pizza without the pizza losing its integrity and shape. standard refrigerators leave the left overs, shall we say, at unacceptable levels of quality in the days to come after the grand feast.

but are you filling up on bread, or the stuff that is not the bread.
i want to fill up on the stuff that is not the bread.