Pilots and Air Traffic Control have interesting conversations

Originally published at: Pilots and Air Traffic Control have interesting conversations | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Old news, but yeah, he apologized for it: Harrison Ford admits making error on runway at California airport

6 Likes

My Dear Wife’s sibs are pilots, the rift between Pilots/ATC is legendary. When we first met, she introduced me as a ATC employee. The expected non-kerfuffle ensued. We still tease them about it.

11 Likes

I’ve heard scary stories about the “conversations” when pilots don’t speak the same language as the folks in the tower. That’s got to be very stressful, considering the misunderstandings in the video when they’re all using the same language. :grimacing:

1 Like

I like that he plays up polite behavior and accountability, especially in management positions. This is some advice many business people (cough, cough…fast food franchises) could stand to take seriously.

3 Likes

Little teeny point of order for this narrator. When you’re on short final in a tailwheel aircraft and it’s blowing 18 knots, “wind check please” is absolutely in line. If that much wind has changed by even 10 degrees heading, I want to know before I put my squirrely, light tailwheel on the ground!
Fun recordings though!

4 Likes

It’s part of the whole Crew Resource Management concept which helps mitigate against wrong-headedness and toxic masculinity.

5 Likes

What’s with the blurry background in this video? Is that a bedroom at the Airport Ramada Inn? Is he trying to send me subtle signals for fun sexy times?

1 Like

English is the lingua franca of aviation all over the world.

But there is a lot less to conversations between controllers and pilots than you might imagine. It’s mostly letters and numbers and a pretty brief list of words.They don’t generally speak in full sentences - this keeps things brief and limits the possibility of confusion.

Also, both the pilot and controller know what to expect of the conversations at various parts of the flight.

Edit: I was intrigued by the ‘Interesting Conversations’ part of the headline. I’m pretty sure that 99.9% of conversations between pilots and ATC aren’t interesting at all!

3 Likes

True, but it doesn’t resolve all problems. If there hadn’t been captions, there’s no way I would’ve understood Harrison Ford. It was like a cross between low talking and mumbling.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.