Pink Floyd's Roger Waters calls Biden a "war criminal" and says "Taiwan is part of China"

He’s pretty ignorant about some of the realities of some of global politics. :confused:

I never understood the appeal of Pink Floyd. I know, it is supposed to be rather deep etc. But, it was all rather meh for me. :confused: Probably just a little too young.

3 Likes

He don’t need no education.

30 Likes

It seems somewhat misleading to describe the status of Taiwan as ‘very nuanced and complex’. It has never been under PRC administration, has a government that ticks all the usual nation-state boxes; and shows little public support for changing any of that.

The question of what exactly American foreign policy ought to be in response to that situation has a much stronger claim to nuance and complexity; the question of how to discourage the PRC without being blatant enough that they move up military action they weren’t originally going to go through on just to demonstrate that we aren’t the boss of them is fiddly; and the whole arrangement is extra fiddly if we want to continue trading with both sides as our interests dictate; but the fact that deciding what to do about the situation is complex isn’t the same thing as the status of Taiwan being complex.

28 Likes

His solo material is weird, and I like some of it and am repelled by others. I do enjoy the Amused to Death album. I saw his band live in 2006 and it was a great performance. The thing that has kept me from seeing him again is exorbitant ticket prices.

8 Likes

The whole “fuck off” thing is obviously demonstrating a need to be edgy and provocative like he was back in the day.

5 Likes

Rog seems determined to piss of absolutely everyone.

4 Likes

It seems like a big strawman to me. I mean, if you don’t agree with Waters, why would you attend one of his performances? :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Except Tom Morello, as this literally is something in his expertise.

5 Likes

Xi’s sabre rattling with fighter jets and warships in disputed airspace and waters isn’t complicated at all. It doesn’t do much in the direction of avoiding WW3 either.

I’ve seen more “nuance” from schoolyard bullies.

Every Tankie I’ve had the misfortune to encounter was also an edgelord. I suppose he could have arrived at these political positions the other way 'round.

14 Likes

He appears to want to piss off everyone. If no one went to his “I have this figured out and if you don’t agree then you are brainwashed” concerts, then he would probably give up his edgy schtick.

5 Likes

In my case that’d be Syd, FWIW.

17 Likes

His former bandmates seem to think so.

10 Likes

Just to make things more complicated, both South Korea and Japan publicly have told PRC that a threat to Taiwan is considered a threat to their nations as well.

Frankly I don’t have much faith in China’s ability to pull off The Million Man Swim. Also flattening Taiwan like Syria or Ukraine completely destroys its value as a conquest.

13 Likes

It’s finally arrived: “The Dark Side Of The Loon”.

18 Likes

It’s magical thinking. “Oh, we’re bad so they must be good”. The world doesn’t work that way. We may be bad, but plenty of us want to strive to be better.

12 Likes

Gauche Caviar Tankie gonna tankie.

5 Likes

It’s the general mindset that anything the US does is by definition “bad” as it’s the “only imperial power” left. Even Chomsky has fallen for that mindset, backing Serb claims about acts of genocide and ethnic cleansing being “fake news” during the Bosnian War. It’s pretty much that anyone who opposes the US must be, by definition “good”.

The reality is that even though both China and Russia are much more “regional” powers (though China is much more than a regional power), they must be “good” just because they are “victims” of American imperial power.

I’d argue that the world just isn’t that simple, and that we live in a multi-polar world with various imperial actors.

34 Likes

I’d say there is some nuance and complication there. In so far as both the ROC and the PRC claim to be the legitimate successor to the empire.

I know Taiwan is currently downplaying that claim but it is still official policy.

And most of the world including the US recognises the PRC as the defacto successor, leaving the ROC where exactly?

3 Likes

And the Manic Street Preachers, Crass, Chumbawamba, The Levellers, Billy Bragg…

If they had stayed out of politics they wouldn’t have done anything that we would remember them for.

18 Likes

Always funny to see these old rocker dudes actually believing that people who go to their concerts actually care about what they, personally, are saying.

Right now, I’d wager that about 90% of your audience doesn’t give a shit about your dumb ideas, Rog, and that if they actually read and obeyed your dumb sign, you wouldn’t have anyone at your shows.

But sure, pretend that people throw money at you because you think they’re there to hear your music, and not because they’re hoping that you veer off the playlist and regale us with stuff from your older days, when you wrote music that people liked.

You know, actual Pink Floyd and not the hissy-fit solo career.

4 Likes