Placerville residents call for the hangman's noose

Originally published at: Placerville residents call for the hangman's noose | Boing Boing

4 Likes

To be or not to be…

8 Likes

So, random ahistorical resident, is the argument that if you had to design a new city logo or ID you would definitely include a noose, even though the town is now known as Placerville? Isn’t being immortalized in the Joy of Cooking for the Hangtown Fry enough? Why would you memorialize a particularly nasty way of executing people, and for property crimes, not capital crimes?

8 Likes

“It’s heritage, it’s not hate”

If you find yourself saying that, maybe reconsider your position.

I wonder if people would feel the same about, say, a pre-third reich swastika appearing in their city logo.

17 Likes

“Come to Placerville; you MAY not hang.”

8 Likes

Right out of Southpark

" In the ethnic diversity is added to the flag: the black man is now being hanged by a group of people of all races, including another black man."

5 Likes

off of

three white people who were hung

Don’t listen to ungrammatical morons.

12 Likes

They could have been both hanged and well-endowed, but I suppose that is overly optimistic.

17 Likes

There is no honor in capital punishment.

8 Likes

I think the gentleman quoted above hasn’t ever stopped to consider how problematic it is to have the history of his town based off of killing anybody.

19 Likes

We should be long past celebrating the noose. It’s a part of history, but it has no more place on a flagpole than a cop’s service revolver does.

I’m curious, though, if anybody else is offended as I am by the typeface used for CITY OF PLACERVILLE? It’s a graphic abomination, especially set in an arc.

7 Likes

Compromise and replace it with a hanging tool used for gold panning…

“Hangtown” makes the intentions rather more clear. No plausible deniability remains

4 Likes

Placerville was a big deal being so near by active gold mines back in the day, also it was home to the main post office serving “the Utah territory” as it was then known. The town is in the foothills between Sacramento and the Sierra mountains.

Enter our hero Snowshoe Thompson! Do yourself a solid and listen to fellow happy mutants describe his exploits and exploitation on this fine podcast. Forgive the hosts Greg and Sharon who don’t realize they mis per ounce the name of the town of Placerville. Right then! Snowshoe Thompson!

Placerville was tied with the port of San Francisco as ground zero of the California gold rush.

5 Likes

Well, as long as it wasn’t actually based on killing someone…

(@MerelyGifted )

2 Likes

Protesting alongside Proud(ly White Supremacist) Boys rather puts the lie to the denial of racist connotations.

4 Likes

How many cities would clamor to have an electric chair as part of their town logo, or a headsman with an axe, or a firing squad?

2 Likes

The arms of Inverness, Scotland are particularly bloody.

6 Likes

How about: If your heritage makes people feel hated, then you have garbage heritage and should actually do some work to improve your reputation, rather than being lazy and just inheriting it.

7 Likes

My g’g’g’grandfather owned a house/workshop in Placerville where he sublet space to one of the Studebaker brothers to make wheelbarrows during the gold rush.

6 Likes

And:

"We're not hating Black people, we're hating all people.
All lives don't matter."

(Parenthetically, Rudy Rucker Software readers will all see a reference here to the arc in which a messiah is hung instead of crucified, and idealized nooses become commonplace, and unremarkable, as religious totems.)

3 Likes