Placerville residents call for the hangman's noose

As a long time creative protest organizer and troll, I see a yuge opportunity here. Join the opponents but dress in flannel and overalls and carry pitchforks and torches and ropes and assemble a whole mob dressed like so, calling for instant justice, because we don’t need no courts n judges n legislators. And maybe also have a guy with shiny shoes and a suitcase in case anyone’s in the market for reptilian medicinal sarsaparilla.

3 Likes

There doesn’t even seem to be a single authoritative account of who these three men were, what crime they were being punished for or even whether the hanging was a lawful execution or an extrajudicial lynching. The only part everyone seems to agree on is that three men were hanged there circa 1849. They’re celebrating a gruesome act of violence for its own sake.

11 Likes

It cannot be overstated how much our political discourse needs to rediscover the phrase “ah, shaddup”.

5 Likes

So this is okay then?

fic-spk2

I kind of wish the local nihilists would do counter-counter protests to BLM and the alt right idiots they tend to attract. No lives matter. Nothing matters.

1 Like

I can’t imagine nihilists not caring about something passionately enough to actually protest about it.

6 Likes

I’m mostly concerned as to why they have a camel and elephant.

4 Likes

Or a crucifix? Wait…

1 Like

Whoa!

I had a client who made me design a gig poster identical to that.

Except it had a skull with a twirly Mexican mustache over a crossed guitar and rifle all on a bed of roses and all the text was done in that ‘City of Placerville’ font and some other stuff that I forget, instead of a tentacle nosed bipedal elephant and a wonky camel and a Sweet Baby Jaysus nailed to a crusader shield in a trampled cabbage patch and a horn of plenty and some Latin and some other stuff that I can’t make out.

Identical!

Sometimes less really is more.

2 Likes

Actually…

https://belgiancraftbeers.com/en/product/noose-from-Ghent/

1 Like

It thinks I’m a robot, and to prove it, it requires me to solve a captcha as loaded from a broken url. Naturally this is impossible.

3 Likes

I got into this argument with one of my racist relatives on Facebook about the Bubba Wallace NASCAR noose incident. There was nothing that could make her understand the importance of contemporary context to the image of a hangman’s noose in a Black man’s workspace.

“But it was there before he moved in! Obviously it was just a pull handle! What an overreaction!”

She was absolutely impenetrable.

Eventually I made the following analogy (CW: racist vocabulary [Hispanic]):

Let’s say you bought a house, and the first time you walk in after closing, you see the word “S__C” painted in giant letters on the wall of the foyer. How would that make you feel?

Later, you find out that a previous owner was a big fan of pop art, and had painted a huge SPIC AND SPAN logo on the wall, which was partially revealed when some poorly applied wallpaper fell off. Would that have made it wrong for you to have felt angry and possibly scared at the apparent racist attack?

Her response: “I think that would have been pretty funny.”

Never have I known a fellow Hispanic person who was so fully colonialized. Anyway, we’re not friends on Facebook anymore.

2 Likes

Or an icon commemorating the execution-by-cross of their leader? How tacky would that be?

This is reallyemphasised text** going to complicate the messaging at Hangtown Halloween music fest…
and I doubt any name changes: DryDiggins Halloween?
DryDiggins Dirge?
Diggins de Los Muertos?

Just make sure you get the uniform right:

external-content.duckduckgo.com

4 Likes

the arms of goirle, in the Netherlands featuring the severed head of John the Baptist

though, perhaps this is a problem of heraldry punching up rather than punching down.

1 Like

Clearly you’ve never told one that you’re not a Rick and Morty fan.

Edit to include a graphic representation of most nihilists you meet online.

6 Likes

some people like those kinds of problems.

1 Like

Replace the noose with an old timey triangle. The kind that would call people to dinner. Everyone likes to eat; no one likes to be hung. Way better for the tourist trade.

1 Like