Plainclothes NYPD cops nearly hit mailman and then they arrest him

To be clear: they ticketed him for resisting assault and unlawful detainment.

12 Likes

NYPD will not offer an explanation why they arrested Grays…

I think a look at his photo provides an important clue!

9 Likes

Who you gonna call? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Inspection_Service

9 Likes

Well, they probably assume that it’s self-evident by now. Why bother “explaining” when everyone knows?

Not a cop. Nothing against the cops. Never had a run-in. (I’m quite white…) But I see this behavior uncovered, detailed, protested, challenged and subjected to withering public criticism…and still it continues. All over the nation…but most acutely in the big metros.

What really needs “explaining” is WHY.

5 Likes

I have to wonder how much it has to do with the Bush II wars.

So many soldiers were operating in cities and towns where they had to assume - often with good reason - that any and every civilian was The Enemy and wanted to kill them. This is reflected in their training. On returning to America, many sign up with the local police forces.

2 Likes

It’s also important to note that a person cannot be guilty of resisting arrest if the arrest was an unauthorized one - in other words, it’s not illegal to resist arrest if you’re not being legitimately arrested for another crime. This lawyer lays it out well; http://www.newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com/2012/12/resisting.html

Sadly, the reality and law are two different things. I’ve seen many people charged with only resisting arrest, no underlying charge. And while they might ultimately get off that charge, they can spend days or longer behind bars, lose jobs, incur fees, and otherwise be punished by the justice system despite committing no crime. So even if you’re being arrested on a BS charge, better to go with it like this defense attorney did - better that than a cracked orbital bone or worse.

15 Likes

AFAIK, the only believable explanation for this impunity, is the power of the police unions. That doesn’t explain the behaviour, just how they’re rarely called out for it.

4 Likes

No, it was always thus. These are deeply ingrained approaches to responding to people who annoy the police for whatever reason - except that in the age before personal recording devices, the cops were probably just more likely to beat the guy up rather than arrest him for “resisting arrest.”

8 Likes

Fixed that for you.
’
Also, probably. Enforcement caste members face censure or removal from their own protected caste if they attack a higher caste’s members by accident.

1 Like

At this point most American police departments are little more than legalized gangs. I have no doubt that, just as gangs can harbor decent people, there are good cops. But organizationally they’re the dictionary definition of corruption.

10 Likes

There’s nothing in there about THE FILTH.

3 Likes

In absolute fairness, I ever end up needing a scooter I’m putting a nerf gatling on that thing, because screw it I’m gonna play with my niece and or her kids even if I can’t walk.

4 Likes

They aren’t doing it right. You should go limp and make the cops carry your dead weight. Don’t resist but don’t offer any assistance when they arrest you.

4 Likes

Well yeah, the Deliverator is of an elite order, after all.

4 Likes

This might be the single best comment I have ever seen on BoingBoing. I am linking and retweeting and send so many Internet points to SpunkyTWS right now.

1 Like

It’s not a crime to resist unlawful arrest. sigh Civil lawsuit?

3 Likes

So he was ticketed for resisting an unlawful arrest?

And the thugs who broke the law and roughed up this man face no punishment?

USA! USA! USA!

6 Likes

Would love to see these cops face those charges.

5 Likes

Murder is illegal too, and yet the NYPD hasn’t had any trouble getting away with that so far

10 Likes

Murder is a state crime.* When the Feds get involved, results tend to be a little better.

*I’m oversimplifying.

4 Likes