Plainclothes NYPD cops nearly hit mailman and then they arrest him

Thugs. NYPD really needs to work on attitude. Protect and serve, protect and serve - not shakedown and harass!

3 Likes

It’s really rather interesting, technically, legally, they can run red lights, go the wrong way on one-way streets, and pretty much do whatever they like as long as it furthers the timely delivery of the mail.

In the real world of course the USPS will fire them for such shenanigans, but that’s USPS policy, not the law.

7 Likes

A friend of my back in Atlanta honked at a car that nearly hit him making an asinine illegal U-turn at an interchange and it turned out to be an unmarked cop car. Cop flips his siren on walks over to my friend and goes, “Is there a problem?” My friend, realizing that his answer would be important goes, “No. No Problem.”

“That’s what I thought.” The cop then gets back in his car and drives off.

The guy was white as the driven snow. I hate to imagine what could have happened if he wasn’t.

14 Likes

[quote=“Nell_Anvoid, post:24, topic:75572, full:true”] I see this behavior uncovered, detailed, protested, challenged and subjected to withering public criticism…and still it continues. All over the nation…but most acutely in the big metros.

What really needs “explaining” is WHY.
[/quote]

“Why not?”

Seriously, the main reason is “Why not?”. There is little incentive for change. Withering criticism is toothless and impotent. “Everyone knows about it” just demonstrates there really are no consequences. Even when charges somehow manage to be pressed for lawbreaking, juries won’t convict (unless it happened off-duty).

The status quo is a big ship to turn around, and it’s a corrupt boat that you rock at your peril - even from the inside. I believe things are changing, but it will take generations to drag US police kicking and screaming up to the respected standards of police in other countries. (And it’s probably not possible to get the whole way there because police in the USA are a patchwork mess of thousands of independent agencies rather than the organised hierarchy you see in other countries, and that’s not going to change.)

6 Likes

…in what universe are postal workers a “higher caste” than police officers, in the U.S.?

1 Like

This one. Let a postal worker assert his authority over a police officer and watch what happens.

3 Likes

But according to “Brooklyn 99” - a rather weak ‘comedy’ series on the telly - the NYPD are just these guys y’know.

Oh. Hang on.

According to almost any cop series on the telly, the police are just these guys, y’know.

FIFM.

3 Likes

Fourteen Pieces of Flair in a fifteen-piece zone? Put your hands behind your back.

5 Likes

Is this supposed to make me feel better about the policification/militarization/fascistization of my American society?

Because it doesn’t.

Much more, man.

If I were an undercover officer whose life depends on not being recognized I might not be so bold as to do things that get my mug national attention.

9 Likes

Modern policing has jumped the shark, is off the rails, and moot.

3 Likes

Even without their private gitmo, I wouldn’t be surprised (links taken from a random selection of mostly things I’d already heard of … but I didn’t find the one I wanted so suffice it to say I could have gone on).

Which is and always shall be a bogus crime tantamount to endorsing “contempt of cop.” (Not implying you’re disagreeing. We may well be agreeing. Angry at the pattern, not the conversation.)

4 Likes

I did federal grand jury for six months. Someone should serve time if mail was stolen. And one thing I learned, mail always get a stolen.

4 Likes

I’m out of likes, so I’ll give you a “love this comment!!!”

6 Likes

tagged “most realistic”

I mailed 17,000 parcels last year, so I feel like I’m on solid footing when I say that the United States Postal Service is a fucking miracle. I can mail a 15.9 oz parcel to Diego Garcia for less than $4. DIEGO GARCIA!!! Do you understand how far away that is from any other place on the face of the earth? No one should be allowed to even have a negative opinion about the USPS before they learn about the wizardry that is postal logistics.

This will be a clash of two unions. I like to hope that there’s an interesting power dynamic at play here, since one union may deliver the other union’s paychecks.

19 Likes

One union may deliver the other union’s paychecks, but that other union already has enough firepower to win a civil war in a Central African country.

6 Likes

Two words: Going Postal.

10 Likes

sorry, meant to put ‘higher’ and got confused.

Two other words: Direct Deposit.

3 Likes