Plane lands safely

Cross wind landings are hypnotic to watch. That’s a pretty good one, but not really exceptional. YouTube has some really good compilations of them, if you’re bored and want to test your dramamine.

Also: that Dash 8 is not a jet. That’s why it has propellers on it.

6 Likes

Not a scientific opinion by any means but, planes with wings attached at the top of the fuselage look breakable. Planes with wings attached at the bottom look stable. I’m not getting on any top-attached planes!

Dash 8s were the turboprops of choice here in HI; they are small enough to take off and land from some of our really small runways (try shooting a landing in Kalaupapa), but large enough to handle more than 20 passengers. I’ve flown on some fairly bouncy flights in them; a lot of the small airports are more or less scooped out of some very inhospitable terrain, with tricky winds. Most of the Dash 8s have left the building; although they are good sturdy planes, they weren’t as speedy as the jets, and they weren’t as adaptable as the little Cessna Caravan puddlejumpers, so the airlines that flew them eventually folded or dropped them for other planes.

4 Likes

I’ve flown on the Dash 8 many times. Even in seemingly calm weather they can get a little jumpy. It was always a fun experience, but I’d never had a flight as crazy as the one in the video. Wow.

5 Likes

I do recall being onboard a similar plane during just such a landing. It had me worried that as we were approaching the ground, my view out the side window was straight down the runway the plane was to land on. But just like on the video, the wheels touched down and we taxied to the gate and went on our individual ways.

3 Likes

How about when it’s windy, the plane is rolling during takeoff and landing, and the wingtips are bouncing up and down? Which configuration would you prefer then?

Of three puddle jumper airlines flying around where I go in the Caribbean, one uses low-wing piston twin Cessna 402s, one uses old high-wing piston 2- and 3-engine Britten-Norman Islanders/Trilanders, and one uses new high-wing Cessna Caravan single turboprops. I go with the Caravans.

5 Likes

The pilot’s name is Svyatopolk Fnurffenburble.

12 Likes

Concorde sez, “Nope. Sorry, I’m off to the Moon. Let me know when you get the wind situation figured out. Later.”

12 Likes

That is talent. Also, that pilot is hard core.

(I came into either Austin or Dallas Love field in Texas many many moons ago in a storm, and that 737 bounced around a lot on final approach, including sideways a bit. Fortunately, we had a good pilot running the controls, and he got us on the ground with all parts intact.(You can probably guess what airline I was flying.))

3 Likes

Sylt is an island in the North sea and all of North-West Germany was swept away yesterday by what we call an Orkan in these parts. There might not have been an alternative.

5 Likes

At least to a properly aligned runway for god’s sake.

3 Likes

the concorde… look at all that lift… great for cruising but not ideal for crosswinds. its like trying to land a kite.

i wonder if it had hazardous vortices off the wingtips like the xb 70 did. the valkyrie was one of the hardest planes ever to land, as the pilots were sitting a massive distance in front of even the front landing gear

3 Likes

Was the landing an emergency? Like was it dangerously out of fuel or not within range of another airport to safely land at? I commend the pilot for landing safely but landing in such dangerous conditions seemed like a big gamble. Anyone happen to know more details about this?

5 Likes

A little bit of background. That was yesterday when nortehrn Germany was swept by a brutal storm. There was no alternative to land anywhere else because it was everywhere like that. But that pilot is a lad.

16 Likes

I was just watching this. As a student pilot, I can’t even imaging flying in conditions like that.
Seems like photographers also don’t vibe with it as well. Here is video of the plane coming in, I have watched it like 5 times.
I bet everyone needed a change of pants after that landing!

https://www.photographytalk.com/forum/the-lounge/276071-photographers-worst-nightmare

1 Like

Pilot did a great job!!

1 Like

how many hours u got so far?

1 Like

249 between a 152, 172 and 172RG (single engine). I have another 4 hours logged in beechcraft travel air (twin engine)

You fly?

3 Likes

been meaning to learn. wanted to learn rotorcraft first but every pilot i speak to says to learn fixed wing

Delta is supposedly going to be hiring 30 thousand pilots in the next decade

1 Like

Fixed wing is WAY easier to fly. I know a few that have confirmed the same as well. Delta has their own flight school in Florida - ComAir. I’m sure registration is on the rise with them with that stat. WOW 30k is a lot. but then again, many of their senior staff could be retiring during next 10 years.

1 Like