Plane lands safely

yeah its a crazy number, recently retired pilot told me about it. said he was getting 250k a year flying and the average flight days per month is 10 or less… sounds lucrative if you have the right skillset and patience

he also said JetBlue was hiring “off the street” but when i looked it into it turned out need thousands of flight hours for even that

1 Like

Yeah the seasoned pilots are getting big bucks. However there is such a huge number of fresh pilots, these guys are only getting $25,000-$30,000 per year till they build up hours.

2 Likes

ah that sounds a bit more realistic for a rookie. helo pilots can make bank tho, like those hotshots who fly logs around for logging operations

1 Like

Oh I’m sure, there is so much more to their education and experience needed to be good at flying a helo. Maybe one day, but now, I just need to build hours for fixed wing. Dinner is ready chat soon!

2 Likes

I was particularly impressed by how, once the plane is just above the runway, right before touchdown, the pilot seems to linger for a while, not hurrying to make the final move until the orientation is just right. Very cool cat.

2 Likes

I fly for fun (though not for a while) and have about 200 hrs. I think learning fixed wing first makes sense but my only serious suggestion is learn where you have to deal with ATC at the beginning: i learned at the airport nearest SFO (San Carlos) and it was nice to have that built inti my instincts

1 Like

Agree! I just had to watch that video again, VERY impressive control. That pilot needs a raise.

1 Like

Interesting. I learned at an uncontrolled field (CPU), and was told that’s the right way to start. Those three solo landings at STO were certainly very intense, but I’ve read that CTAF can be intimidating for those who don’t have it down. No doubt that going outside your comfort zone is always harder.

At the risk of belaboring a subject that we might never agree on … given the choice I would take pilots from the sticks who stumble on the radio with a controller who can ask for clarification rather than the reverse — city pilots trying to transmit into the blind with no support whatsoever.

1 Like

I’m not saying I wasn’t planned like that, but the lingering comes when the plane moves into the ground effect area and the lift increases. It happens on most landings. Obviously skilled pilots can make effective use of this.

2 Likes

This guy seemed to do okay in one.

3 Likes

Glad to see a fellow pilot here. My dad owns a Cessna 170B, I’ve got about 400 hours in her plus maybe 150 in other types (C172, C177, Cherokee Archer).

Love those big Cessna flaps, have saved a couple of bad approaches for me.

1 Like

That’s the first thing that occurred to me too. However, it seems that Dusseldorf airport has only one runway.

When I fly, I check the wind forecast carefully and if there is a good chance of more than a 20kt crosswind, I definitely plan for an alternate to an airport with multiple runways.

1 Like

1 Like

A compilation of landings and go-arounds at Dusseldorf during this week’s Hurricane Friederike. I think the OP’s DASH-8 is in there somewhere, but there are a lot of others. Lots of good pilots out there, thank whatever god you favour.

2 Likes

This is not a hill I’ll even get grumpy on, let alone die on! So not trying to argue, but I liked it because it was always part of the flying, so I could comfortably fly around the Bay Area and have a good sense of it even as a beginner. (Plus, in the Bay Area you don’t have as many choices). Of course I haven’t flown since it became A-B-C-D airspace, so I’m more than a little rusty!

Needs a soundtrack:

2 Likes

DH and I both have a few hours under our belt; I only have about 45, but DH got licensed and was ferrying about Cessnas, little 152s up to 172s and a couple of twins on the east coast. There are a lot of rookie pilots out here trying to build their hours by flying little commercial commuter operations, so they can eventually get hired by the big airlines.

1 Like

Takeoff upholstery: White with blue details.
Landing upholstery: Brown with much odor.

at that level they are all good pilots.

if it wasn’t so there would be so much death.

Y’all, I’m buying a round of umlauts for everyone. :smirk:

Düsseldorf is a city in the Rhinelands, named for the rather small “river” Düssel. (BTW, the Neandertal, formerly written with an h, lies in the city. While being a smallish place for, erm, millennia, it’s grown a bit in the last two centuries, but the feud with nearby Cologne about which city is more important is even younger than that. Düsseldorf became capital of the new state of Nordrhein-Westfalen only after WW2…)

A Dussel is a simpleton, fool, or clumsy person. Depends on context.

In this context, Dusel is what the people on this plane must have felt they had. Especially up north, on Sylt and around, it’s the term for sheer luck, sometimes used like divine intervention without involving Jeezuz.

2 Likes