Plane lands safely

Aren’t those just for decorative purposes?

:wink:

2 Likes

They’re still heavily used up in Alaska for the bigger routes between cities. It’s a nice 30 minute flight from Homer to Anchorage in all sorts of winter weather, with the alternative being a 5 hour drive with the possibility of getting caught in a blizzard and falling off a mountain at Turnagain Pass.

https://www.flyravn.com/about-us/aircraft-fleet/

Braniff!

[Probably not, though. Unless you’re oldz, like me.]

2 Likes

Nah. ‘Love Field’ should have given it away - that’s the Home airport for Southwest Airlines.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s related to ST:TOS Captain Dunsel?

“I need to make my connection to Dusseldorf!”

“But, the–”

“Are the words coming out of my mouth in German or English?”

“The wi–”

“GERMAN. OR. ENGLISH.”

“German, sir.”

“And how much to make this happen?”

“It’ll have to be in Euros.”

“All I have are Reichsmarks and gold ingots in an old box from WWII.”

“Ah …”

“So, how about it then? Schnell, schnell! Are you a pilot or a doormouse?!”

“Beginning our descent now, sir.”

Somewhere in an alternative universe, an old German from Argentina dies from a heart attack. Annnnd, … the rest is history.

Dusseldorf is well-known by plane spotters as the place to go to film cross-wind landings. Nothing out of the ordinary in this video. Also, long lens makes the whole thing look much worse than it is.

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to remember – “forced perspective” or “depth of field” or some such.

Depth of field is about the distance between the closest and furthers points where the image is in focus. Not relevant here. But long lenses, greater than, say, 400mm for a standard 35mm camera, will compress the distance between near and far object so they appear to be on top of each other.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.