Players are pretty happy with Fortnite's new Tactical Assault Rifle

Again, there doesn’t have to be direct causation for there to be an impact. Proliferation is definitely the #1 driver of all gun violence in the US. I never made the argument that there was any direct impact from video game violence on school shooting incidents, nor would I. The whole point is that I have hard time swallowing the idea that there is no impact whatsoever from the fetishization of guns and gun violence in American media including, but not exclusive to, video games. Most people would never consider taking a 7 year old to see John Wick, but freely give them an X-Box with a FPS. That duality is very weird to me and it’s even weirder that the stance of most gamers seems to be that there is no possible consequence whatsoever.

Also, ask yourself this: Why is our main criteria always “It isn’t causing any provable harm.” and not “It’s not creating any perceivable benefit.”?

3 Likes

But why are you so concerned about what “may” be causing provable harm (video games), when guns are the things causing known provable harm?

2 Likes

I didn’t say any of that. I originally responded to the OP by saying that gamers seem completely unwilling to engage in any dialogue around gun violence and fetishization. I may have missed a comment, but last I looked this seems to have been borne out in this thread. People keep reframing my comments to seem like I’m saying something I’m not while not engaging in the core point at all.

1 Like

Well, I dont particularly blame gamemakers for being unwilling to engage in any dialogue around gun violence.

The same way I dont blame beekeepers or philatelists or mathletes for being unwilling to engage in any dialogue around gun violence.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.