Podcast: Fake News is an Oracle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/planchettes-r-us.html

Marty Feldman lives!

Two things: a lot if not most of “fake news” is projection - the writers are telling you what they would do if they had power. An example of this is the Comet Ping Pong Pizza conspiracy story in which children were put in cages as sex slaves for the rich and powerful. We see this now in immigrant holding facilities, or concentration camps if you will, where children are held in cages and, yes, there have been confirmed cases of sexual abuse, although none yet connected to the rich and powerful, directly. Another example is anything Donald Trmp says about an opponent. Projection is a fundamental part of his tell.

Second, “truth” is a concept I have had a hard time with for a long time. I believe in what I call carpenter’s truth - if something is straight, level, and plumb then it is true. “Truth” as people generally use it is much too big for me to get my arms around. What people perceive as “truth” is very much dependent upon where they are looking from, their perspective.

You are entirely correct that “our truth-seeking exer­cises can’t be trusted,” but then, as Karl Popper and George Soros will tell you, falsifiability is fundamental to the scientific method (and a crisis in science now, I understand, as replication of famous experiments fail). In the news business it used to be that the hard-bitten editor would tell a cub reporter, “If your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source.” Or it’s just the blues that BB King sang, “Nobody loves me but my mother but she could be jiving too.”

That’s been my approach to the world for quite a while now. “Nobody loves me but my mother but she could be jiving too.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.