Poe's Law: The Final Countdown

A fine laboratory test of Poe’s Law at work: which of these are the words of a satirist, or a major conspiracy theorist, or the President of the United States? (Courtesy of Daily Kos.)

1. “I’ve looked very critically at NASA. Why is it that the astronauts have conflicting stories about the sky? Is it bright with stars, or a deep velvet black?”
  2. “As horrible as it sounds, when they throw the large sacks of drugs over, and if you have people on the other side of the wall, you don’t see them—they hit you on the head with 60 pounds of stuff? It’s over, as crazy as that sounds, you need transparency through that wall. But we have some incredible designs.”
  3. “Last week was Holocaust Remembrance Day and as you know six million people … were at my inauguration.”
  4. “They want to create two classes: the ultra rich and servants. At that point they would’ve taken over the world, and enslaved the population, and controlled everything.”
  5. “Our faith makes us a persecuted minority, mocked to our faces by friends and strangers for nothing more than First Amendment-protected beliefs.”
  6. “Radical feminism is destroying young men.”
  7. “When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday—no matter what happened Tuesday.”
  8. "You’re in such good shape, beautiful.”
  9. “At some point in the future, we’re going to look back and say how did we do it without space?”
  10. “This is infinity here. It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something—but it could be infinity, right?”
  11. “The FAKE NEWS media (failing New York Times, NBC News, ABC, CBS, and CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!”
  12. “I love a safe zone for people. I do not like the migration. I do not like the people coming.”

Here’s some soundtrack for you - no peeking!

1. Not the president—this is from an anonymous flat Earther.
2. Yes, that was said by the president of the United States, who thinks it will be raining 60-pound sacks of drugs when the border wall is built.
3. Nope, that was Alec Baldwin on Saturday Night Live.
4. No—this is the flat Earther again.
5. This has to be the president … no, another flat-Earther.
6. No, but the president does listen to this guy: Alex Jones.
7. Stephen Colbert.
8. Sadly, this was the president speaking to the first lady of France, Brigitte Macron.
9. The president, ad-libbing during a ceremony about the National Space Council.
10. The president, clearly not getting Buzz Aldrin’s “To infinity and beyond” joke.
11. This one is tricky: it can be credited to both the president—and to Alex Jones of Info Wars.
12. Again, sadly, the president.

5 Likes

Well I’ll brag. I scored 10.5 out of 12.

I’ll do the opposite of bragging, shaming myself by peeking without even trying to take this impressive quiz. I think that was as depressing as taking the quiz would’ve been. But, thanks after all, I do feel more informed, which must be worth something.

1 Like

Same here. I don’t think this is particularly difficult; these are rather famous Trumpisms.

I missed the one about NASA (which I thought had to be satire) and the one about the Holocaust (which I thought was what Trump said).

Yea that first one got me. I tend to forget there are actual flat-earthers.

I actually think about flat-earthers a lot.

I usually wonder if any of them have satellite TV or GPS, and how they think it works if they do. I don’t think I want to know, because the answers would make me sad, but I think about it sometimes.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.