'Poker Face' as a circa 1940s Western swing tune

Originally published at: 'Poker Face' as a circa 1940s Western swing tune | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Took me about 10 seconds to figure out it was primarily mashed-up with “Miss Molly” by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

I would never have thought that particular nerd fandom of mine would intersect with BB, yet here we are.

12 Likes

My kid just asked me “How do you wake up Lady Gaga?” yesterday. I think she was a little disappointed that my dad-joke instinct was able to instantly provide the answer before she had a chance to deliver the punchline.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Now that you can easily use AI to separate vocals from music on songs both old and new I imagine we’ll be seeing a lot more of this. (It used to be mainly limited to tracks where the isolated vocals were released or leaked)

2 Likes

And I bet that new technology is making a lot more possible for that particular YouTube creator. Looks like their efforts from just a couple years ago involved re-recording new vocals from a different singer: Come As You Are - Swing Edition - YouTube
They could re-do that same video with Kurt’s actual voice now.

1 Like

I recommend everyone follow his YouTube and Instagram accounts. There’s a lot of brilliant stuff there.

My mother (long time Bob Wills fan) thought that was really cute - but she didn’t understand why I thought it was so funny. I wish my dad were still with us, because he would’ve laughed with me. He and my mother used to go dancing in West Texas, and the Playboys were their favorite band.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.