Poland changed its laws regarding IVF, denying women access to their own embryos

I’m okay with 'phone.

But in the age of mobile 'phones, I no longer call my 'phone a 'phone.

Now I call it my mobile clock, because the clock is the central technology behind 'phones and 'puters and suchlike.

1 Like

They do remember that. The right wing government remembers themselves as the primary victims of the nazis on Poland, in fact, and have even thrown around some relatively holocaust denial type laws intended to stop any and all criticism of the Polish people during the war, even though some indeed participated in the holocaust.

4 Likes

confuesd

2 Likes

I know a Polish women who moved to Ireland in the early 2000s.

In that time, Holy Catholic Ireland became just Ireland, and Poland became Holy Catholic Poland. She says her country’s full of fascists now and she’s not sure she’ll ever go back.

5 Likes

And Russia has become Holy Orthodox Russia.

Relevant:

2 Likes

Welcome to Eastern Europe. My own country’s (Hungary) government is full-on authoritarian fascist at this point, the Speaker of the Parliament and main ideologist of the governing party, just the other day went on a rant about how the idea of checks and balances is “bullshit” and how dare anyone suggest putting shackles on a government that represents The People (as in, they had been elected “technically” democratically… technically, because it wasn’t fair or just at all, but they got away with it) and how mobile phones are a tool for liberals to manipulate our children, and we should be on the lookout because I quote “when you’re above 40 paranoia should be an essential tool of survival.”

Meanwhile far-right assholes are rampaging through the city attacking LGBTQ spaces burning rainbow flags, and the police pointedly looks the other way because the party does actually have an anti-LBGTQ stance.

This, in Europe, in the year of our lord 20-fucking-19.

7 Likes

I agree. And so would my four year old IVF conceived daughter were I to tell her about it and if she fully understood it.

1 Like

It just goes to show the essential incoherence of fundamentalist ideologies. Poland’s religious right wing are simultaneously massively natalist, but also anti-IVF.

They’re yelling at the population “Have more Children”, but refusing any help in the process.

1 Like

They do have their own insidious logic, at least over here. Yes, they’re yelling “Have more children!” - but what they actually mean by that is “have more children, but only the correct way, and only if you’re someone we approve of procreating.” That is, the “natural” way because anything else can’t be trusted, and you’d better not be Roma, poor, LBGTQ, or with risks or disabilities of any kind. Because otherwise the child won’t be of pure Aryan biology or how God intended them or whatever nonsense bullshit they pull up as justification.

2 Likes

The used to call that a pocket watch

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.