Police called on state representative for canvassing while black

so you are saying this woman as you see her here makes you think “potential burglar”?

24 Likes

I have no idea what you’re asking.

Some assumptions are more equal than others?

Are you forgetting the large ‘cranky old person’ contingent? They’re driven by F’s on their lawn more than much else.

1 Like

If we were to put a white person in our imagined scene, derived from the text plus our own imaginations for which we and not others are responsible, what would it “look” like then?

7 Likes

I’ve had the cops called on me while canvassing, but I’m a white dude, so this is more of a hassle caused by some conservative constituent obsessed with crime. With the racial element this could be deadly. People should be less paranoid about a stranger knocking on their door during an election period, cause this is the bread and butter of electoral politics.

4 Likes

Yes. because some assumptions are made with 1% surety and others are made with 99% surety and certainly everything in between.

I did not forget that, I think the “I hate politic types canvasing” falls in the same vein as the “get off my lawn” line of thinking. Maybe that’s just me?

2 Likes

That’s not a hard bet to win. Clackamas County is like 85% white. It also contains the affluent city of Lake Oswego, which is colloquially known as “Lake No Negro” because of the discernible lack of people of color. For every progressive naked bicycling hipster, Portland seems to also have a nosy white neighbor who will drop a dime on a POC they don’t recognize walking through their neighborhood.

7 Likes

Only a problem for the black ones.
/s

3 Likes

Yet I’ve never heard of a white male political candidate getting the cops called on him for this behavior.

25 Likes

but you’re willing to jump to the conclusion that she’s casing the neighborhood?

and i wasn’t jumping to conclusions because i’d already heard about this case yesterday and in the article in the oregon live news site-- https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2018/07/black_oregon_state_rep_says_he.html--

they reported–
“Rep. Janelle Bynum, a Democrat who is running for a second term this fall in the state House of Representatives, said she was knocking on doors and talking to residents for two hours along Southeast 125th Avenue in Clackamas. She was taking notes on her cellphone from the conversation she’d had with someone at the second to last of about 30 homes on her list around 5:10 p.m. when a Clackamas County deputy pulled up to her.”

so she was seen having a conversation with the resident and then taking notes after she finished. and from the context of the statement she was taking notes after each conversation. again, someone paying attention to reality instead of racist imaginings would have been able to figure that out by merely paying a little attention.

20 Likes

So, doing exactly what everybody does all the time. Very suspicious!

So assuming that a person of color is not a criminal is odd, but assuming that they are, is normal. Got it. You may want to examine your own attitudes.

25 Likes

God’s little passive-aggressive foot soldiers for white supremacy.

15 Likes

No, I don’t. I didn’t say that. I didn’t call the police. I said the behavior of canvassing could look simiar enough to casing that someone might call the police.

I don’t have video of the scene, so I have no choice to imagine what it looks like for someone to canvas a neighborhood. I can base that on the other people I have seen canvas in the past. Is that unreasonable of me to do?

If you’re asking if a white person doing what she was doing would get the cops called on them? I’d suggest that they would.

Obvious strawman is obvious.

Again, strawman. I didn’t say that. I said the behavior of canvassing and casing aren’t very dissimilar. They could be separated by a bunch of things–some of which I’ve pointed out in the post you’re replying to. Your assumption is that race (hers and the callers) was the motivating factor in her being reported. We don’t know the race of the caller, do we? Even if they are white, it’s still an assumption to say race was the motivatign factor.

As others have pointed out, disagreeing with her politics is a very likely motivation. If someone spoke with her and therefore knew she was just canvasing and called the cops on her to harass her, then they knowingly made a false statement to the poice and I’d like to see them prosecuted.

Pedantic stonewalling is pedantic stonewalling.

12 Likes

I guess. Except that when white people do this they don’t have the cops called on them. And that’s the thing.

The caller probably did not think “Oh Horror! A person of colour! I will call the cops and make her wish she never came to this neighbourhood!” (Although it’s possible that the caller did think this) Chances are good that the caller did actually think, “That looks like someone up to no good! I better call the cops!”

But it’s because the canvasser was black that she was perceived to be someone up to no good. The caller may not think of her/himself as racist, but it’s a prejudiced reaction. That’s the point.

27 Likes

ok. I can agree the person canvasing a place to rob it, and to solicit could possible look the same. Fine, I would accept that.

But that is with no other information.

You HAVE the additional information. Predominantly white neighborhood, black woman, who looks like any ordinary person you have ever seen canvasing for politics or to sell you new windows. If you want to ignore those facts, go for it. I am not. She looks like any person I work with, went to school with, or have spoken to at the soccer fields or PTA meetings. So, yeah…sorry but I do not buy the argument that “one action looks similar so therefore it could be reasonable”. I do not think it was a reasonable reaction at all.

You do you though. Enjoy your day and your stance.

4 Likes

This is what you are doing to defend the person who called 911 on their own State Representative:

It was a racist action. Whether it was consciously so or subconsciously so is up in the air. But it was absolutely racist. There have been a lot of canvassers working that area, from various political positions (including far left of Bynum). Only one had the police called on her.

11 Likes

“See something, say something” is particularly rough on minorities of all kind.

15 Likes

Especially if you are so ignorant you can’t recognize your own representative.

4 Likes

@KludgeGrrrl I agree with you that your scenario seems reasonable. But it’s not the only one. The political motivation scenario is also persuasive.

So the arguement is ‘white people thus racism’?

Because it’s exactly what DukeTrout is asserting.

You can keep your images, they add nothing to the discussion.

I’m not sure I’d be able to spot all of my representatives. I’ve met my city rep before and I might be able to pick him out of a lineup, but the state level ones I’ve only ever seen the highly staged protional headshot they use on their mailings.