Police called on state representative for canvassing while black

if the caller actually felt any shame this would have self-corrected a long time ago.

3 Likes

22 Likes

Yes. And I have the history of the human species as evidence. Good luck with your views and mental gymnastics.

11 Likes

Portland has plenty of problems, but none of those problems involve being in fuckin Clackistan. (Ok I think technically ~500 Portland addresses are over the border, but still. Portland =/= Clackistan)

Also, if Gresham wasn’t in Clackistan the county would be about 98% white…

1 Like

Did Boingboing report on the story of a black fireman that got the cops called on him too? I can’t recall, i was going to suggest that story but i forgot to do so.

10 Likes

Yeah, it was posted some time ago here.

2 Likes

Boy, what with all these BBQ Beckys, Permit Pattys, and Pool Patrol Paulas we’re just seeing more and more concern over states’ rights, economic anxiety, and ethics in video game journalism these days.

How can this be? We white Americans are typically so easy-going when we have to deal with people of colour in “our” neighbourhoods.

20 Likes

I couldn’t remember. Which probably says more about the current state of affairs when i can’t keep straight what’s the latest “X person called the cops on a minority”

10 Likes

Even though I replied to you, what makes you think they are for you?

6 Likes

you have reflexively responded to a couple of folks in this conversation by claiming they are making a strawman argument. i don’t think you understand what a strawman argument is. in both cases i’ve noticed where you do this you’re obviously unhappy with the way @DukeTrout and i have summarized the argument you’ve been making but the consequences of your argument lead directly to those summaries. you clearly feel that the idea that her activities were harmless and unexceptional is an odd conclusion, even if i “assumed” she was knocking on the front doors, talking to residents, and handing out campaign materials, which was not an assumption because that was what she was doing as reported in that news site i linked to. you are the one who described the assumption of the innocence of her behavior as being and “odd conclusion.” you have gone to great lengths to excuse the conclusion that she was 'casing" the neighborhood. none of this represents a strawman fallacy because your position has not been misrepresented but has instead been described using your own words.

i shared the news site page about the incident which described her approach to canvassing, which is basically the same as any other canvassing i’ve ever encountered including the time i participated in it. she was going to the front door of every house in the neighborhood and engaging everyone who was home in conversation, and then taking notes about it after she was done. have you ever helped conduct a canvass of voters or talked to a canvasser in your neighborhood? you seem to be unclear on the process if you think that in any way resembles casing a neighborhood for future criminal activities.

my other assumption was that you were probably from the states and that most people from the states would be at least somewhat conversant with the excessive number of incidents of whites calling the police on people of color for things white people do all the time without having the police called.

15 Likes

It’s been like this.

13 Likes

I’m familiar with what a strawman is. It begins with one person mischaracterizing the arguement and then attacking it and claiming they have disproved it. It’s exactly what you and @DukeTrout did.

I’ve made my arguement and you’ve failed to refute it.

You missed where I said I am familiar with canvassing. You also missed where I explained all the ways people go out of the way to make to obvious what they’re doing when they go door-to-door in neighborhoods. And I also admitted we don’t know if she was doing any of them as the only photo is a headshot of her and the deputy. We don’t know if she did or she didn’t. If she didn’t then it’s not unreasonale for a resident to wonder what she’s up to.

Emphasis mine. Even though someone in this thread have had the police called on them for this same activity you continue to assert this.

Because that’s how conversations work.

Same here in my experience canvassing. I wish criminals who cased neighbourhoods were as obvious and willing to connect face-to-face with residents as experienced political canvassers and candidates are, since it would make it easier to catch them. In reality, though, criminals (even stupid ones) usually take great pains not to make their faces familiar to as many people in the neighbourhood as possible before burglarising a house or two.

13 Likes

Your “argument”, as presented, is, IMO, nothing more than the repeated regurgitation of your own internalized and obtuse privilege, along with an emphatic refusal to acknowledge the reality that others without said privilege live in everyday.

(credit to @MalevolentPixy)

­

Must be nice.

18 Likes

(Waiting now for “But you haven’t addressed a single specific thing I’ve said,” etc etc)

15 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve reached above and beyond my limit for false equivalencies, weak justifications, and arbitrary apologia from people whose opinions likely stem from the fact that their lives aren’t ever noticeably affected by the topic(s) being discussed.

It really must be nice to exist in a world where one is never judged, harassed or persecuted simply because of one’s appearance… but that’s not the world I and countless other “minorities” live in.

17 Likes

99 times out of 100 the git off my lawn type is the same person spamming racist shit to facebook.

4 Likes

When we moved “home” (Ireland), I had to teach my (American) wife that it was perfectly acceptable to talk to the police here. I used to stop and ask them directions to places I knew perfectly well, just to drum up her confidence in them. The most it ever went wrong was when one smiley fellow decided he should walk us all the way there because he thought his instructions were confusing.

I thought I was making a point here, but I’m not sure now. I do believe there’s nothing wrong with the police, there’s something wrong with America. But perhaps it’s a little early to make that distinction to your lads. I’ll leave that to your better judgement.

8 Likes