Police chief decapitates boy's pet chicken

“We got no food, we got no jobs… our PETS’ HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!” - Lloyd Christmas

how do you know he did not fuck before he killed it?

2 Likes

There were ducks present.

He stated that the only reason he didn’t shoot it was because children were playing nearby. See, he’s a conscientious cop!

3 Likes

… that’s not news. “Boy’s pet chicken decapitates police chief” - that’s news.

4 Likes

You know, maybe it’s the Andy Taylor syndrome coming out in me, but you kind of expect a chief of police to be the ‘cooler head’ in situations like this, not the perpetrator. I could see a Barney Fife taking out his aggression with a shovel (don’t want to waste that bullet in his shirt pocket!), but Andy? Nah.

Shame on you, Trevor. Don’t you have some speeding traps to set up, or something?

2 Likes

Yes, given the numerous reports of police shooting dogs for no reason I think we can assume the chicken got just about exactly what a dog would get.

1 Like

My kids get attached to things that can’t even move … coins, plants, drawings. Nevermind the pets. I don’t doubt for a second that the boy regarded the chicken as a pet.

Well at least the people only have a crazed cop to worry about and not some vagrant chicken.

3 Likes

I live in the middle of a large Canadian city, and while keeping chickens is technically illegal, it’s still become quite popular and nobody around here seems to be that bothered by them. I hadn’t even realized that the shed in my neighbour’s back yard was a coop until a year after I’d moved in and I saw a couple of hens pecking away at bugs in our backyard, thanks to some pretty ramshackle and permeable fences. They don’t seem to be the cause of any noise, or smell or dirt whatsoever.

3 Likes

But are they against City Ordinances? That’s the pointed fulcrum.

My large suburb does not allow chickens, presumably because of the noise (roosters?). However, there seems to be no end of dogs barking at freaking everything, and backyard speakers cranked all weekend.

4 Likes

Roosters aren’t needed unless you want baby chooks to go with eggs. Hens lay readily without roosters.
3 out of my 4 adjoining neighbours keep hens (in a suburb close to CBD) and other than the very occasional escapee, there’s no smell and only the occasional squawk as one of them presumably lays a square egg.

Not sure why local ordinances ban them. They make good pets, don’t take up much space, and are a fantastic way to keep kids in touch with where food comes from.

Also, screw you supermarkets, we’ve got eggs! :chicken:

3 Likes

I live in a mid-sized city that, after a few years of contentious debate, decided to allow chickens. You can’t keep roosters (although there is an area that’s near the more rural part of the county where I’ve heard one crowing).

As I said there was debate, but now that they’re allowed the only thing that’s changed is that people who want chickens in their backyard have them. People were concerned about foxes and coyotes coming into neighborhoods, but that was happening before anyone was allowed to have chickens, and happens in neighborhoods where no one has chickens. Coyotes and foxes, along with deer, raccoons, possums, and other animals, aren’t coming into neighborhoods because of chickens, They’re being driven into neighborhoods by a rush of development that’s taken down previously forested areas.

I’m not sure what exactly the point of all this is, other than to say that, as our respective experiences show, people keeping chickens in neighborhoods isn’t a problem whether it’s legal or not. And where it’s not it’s a minor infraction that any cop should know how to deal with appropriately. But then as we see again and again what cops should know and how they choose to act are often vastly different things.

4 Likes

Yes, there is an Ordinance banning livestock etc in the city (Halifax), but for hens at least it isn’t being enforced.

Here are the very simple guidelines for chickens in Chicago:

it’s legal to raise any number of hens and roosters as pets and for eggs throughout every neighborhood in the city....(snip)....in Chicago your chickens don’t have to be registered, have no coop specifications, and roosters are even allowed

I know about a half dozen families who keep chickens as pets. The kids grow quite attached to them, as do the adults.

“Go stick your head in a pig”

Has the Executive branch suddenly become the Judicial branch? Against an ordinance or not, this was out of line. I think we agree there?

This deserved a summons, not an execution of a healthy animal.

I hope the chief is arrested for animal cruelty. And faces a judge.

If I believed in doing things the way the chief does, and skipping all that for quicker ‘justice’ then I would hope that someone introduces his front teeth to his tonsils.

6 Likes

Right. Im guessing the ordinance is more about their prize property value than it is about the occasional muted squawk.

I also live in an agricultural state, and I meet a lot of transplants from farm communities that are looking for the different lifestyle and opportunities the city has to offer. I wonder how much of the chicken hate comes from people wanting to distance themselves from being associated with farms and farming? The green life styles are really a recent trend here, not so long ago farmers and city cultures didnt really mix.

That’s an interesting thought.
I don’t see much in the way of chicken-hate but that may be because keeping a few chooks is a typically Aussie thing to do and linked in with the Australian Dream of a quarter-acre block in the suburbs.

1 Like

& @Flashman

Yes, we agree :laughing:

This donut was a real pig. I’m astounded any officer of the piece has time to do anything like this.

He probably thinks he deserves credit for saving bullets / taser charge on it (and think of the potential danger of chicken blood on the taser … needles? … )

I personally would not want this fowl officer walking my streets.

1 Like