Police in Rochester, NY, handcuff and pepper spray 9-year-old girl

As a resident in the area since 1984, I will share that the RPD are a pile of sadistic shits. They need to be disbanded, full stop. We have county sheriffs and state police who are much better trained. You are unlikely to EVER see a NYSP officer doing shit like this. After the RPD executed Daniel Prude last spring, people here seem to be waking up. But the problems are old, systemic, and intractable. And our mayor needs to go, too. Despite being a black woman, she’s done no favors for anyone black (except her family members) or female. Far from it. She’s a party-machine, piece of shit hack.

2 Likes

Because even with cameras, consequences are almost always absent for cops: hierarchy & laws protect them. Cameras in the streets, and cops’ bodycams, are made to surveil (low-class) citizens

4 Likes

I agree with everything he says here. Especially comparing it to the child who was found in the rolled vehicle with her parents dead. And he says most cops have stuffed toys in the trunks of their squad cars for the express purpose of helping children settle down.

3 Likes

My sister teaches these sorts of special needs kids exclusively at her school.

She uses them periodically, but nowhere near as often as you would expect, for the reasons you cite.

Yep.

Not even related to defunding the police, it would not take much for police to add this to their training regime.

8 Likes

Another part of the problem is cops in schools, like in this case. There’s got to be a better solution:

14 Likes

At first I thought that was a metaphorical set of quotes, I mean it has to be, and then I got to the part in the video where that exchange actually occurs. JFC.

1 Like

I refer you to episode 8 of Lovecraft Country, “Jig-a-Bobo”.

Fictionalized, but still difficult to watch.

1 Like

16 Likes

Why? Cameras would only cause them to rethink their actions if the camera footage resulted in negative consequences. It doesn’t, instead the cops treat it as a greatest hits reel.

We tried snuggly terms. They didn’t move the needle. I frequently hear that the term is the problem, but police abolition and reform have been active causes for longer than I’ve been alive and nothing has resulted in more reforms than the blunt statement to defund the police.

12 Likes

The video shows nothing, given that the TV station has plastered its ident all over it. But yeah the answer to the question everyone was semi-wondering about is yes.

1 Like

Temple Grandin built herself a contraption that would give her a big bear hug of its own if she got into it. She’s autistic, but I think the feeling is a lot more primal than psychiatry. My son who’s also autistic, loved to wrestle with me on the floor, and all the more if I would lay him out and lie on top of him full-press.
It’s kinda the same thing weighted blankets do. Everybody likes to be hugged, except maybe cats.

The fuckery continues with the union chief trying to fucking justify what happened, and it’s as horrible as you’d imagine:

13 Likes

The Thin Blue Line Flags make this an even bigger insult.

What are you fools protecting people from? You are the monsters.

I see now the black on those flags is a void of humanity, because when you realize that what surrounds the blue, it all makes sense again.

Fucking monsters. This is why I hate the police, will never trust the police. And I’m a white guy. This is bullshit!

Fire these bastards immediately. Ban them from holding jobs as officers.

If police departments did this when shit like this happened every time, people wouldn’t desperately hate the police. They’re just walking monsters with a badge at this point.

5 Likes

Oh boy, I missed the thin blue line flag. Even police departments are banning those now, acknowledging they’re not about supporting police, but about supporting white supremacy.

Although to be fair, police unions are the absolute worst. They’re consistently headed by the most racist, reactionary assholes imaginable because their whole job is to justify and excuse the most horrific police abuses. And they’ve been given so much power that they are, in many ways, de facto commanders of police forces, influencing training and even able to thwart reform-minded police chiefs.

7 Likes

When he said the part about it “resulted in no injury” to the girl I was so praying someone would step up and pepper spray him.

14 Likes

Trouble is, I don’t think the department will pay out anything. The local government pays it out of local taxes, not the police budget.

2 Likes

It also says POLICE LOCUST CLUB on the wall :confused:

3 Likes

True!
Too many people think Police lawsuits are settled like an insurance claim; and they aren’t.
Your one for one tax dollars are what pays for your local police; and their particular F-ups like this instance.
TIL.

Whenever I see a Thin Blue Line flag, I think two simultaneous things:

1. It’s a desecration of the flag
  2. It’s basically a swastika banner
    Edited to finish the post :slight_smile:
7 Likes

Too true.

11 Likes