Police let fugitive go during arrest because of his "unpredictable" and "violent" history

Yep. Underneath it all, All Cops Are Cowards.

8 Likes

Good. The world would be a much better place if cops didn’t go charging towards danger with their guns blazing. Sounds like they know where to find him.

2 Likes

That’s surely not the only way to arrest this apparently dangerous fugitive? In part to avoid the possibility that he doesn’t go on to, you know, do more crimes and hurt people?

12 Likes

Spoiler alert;

1 Like

Why is that reasoning never applied when the suspect isn’t white?

Asking as someone who has been nearly killed multiple times by police cars chasing after small-time criminals through multiple neighborhoods/towns rather than just, you know, monitoring where they go with cameras and picking them up later without all the damage to other cars and bystanders.

15 Likes

You would think so, but that is not how they are trained.

It is worth noting that at any given time there will be hundreds of people with felony warrants in a county that are at known addresses ready for cops to arrest. But cops have other priorities and for good reason. Discretion is the better part of valor.

2 Likes

Do police ever respond to a call in any other way? I’ve noted other emergency responder vehicles, e.g. fire trucks or ambulances, even in a dire emergency, proceed with direct urgency, but still drive as if killing other people on the road might be of some concern. Police take the slightest excuse to drive like they’re part of the Fast and Furious franchise, danger to citizens be damned.

4 Likes

I found a higher quality photo of the suspect:

Maybe the police didn’t want an interstellar incident.

12 Likes

I agree, to a degree. Absolutely deescalation and even an occasional “release, and arrest later” is probably a prudent tactic to enforce the law without killing anyone.

The problem is - that so often is not how the police operate. And way way too often they will use excessive or lethal force on someone who isn’t white.

These stories are stark reminders of systemic racism in policing. Assault a guy and they walk away as you are too dangerous. vs Sell some illegal cigarettes and it’s an illegal choke hold.

It goes doubly so when it seems this guy is accused of hate crimes, randomly punching people for no other reason besides their race. Seriously, why they fuck is this guy on the streets? Fucking Ethan Suplee’s character from American History X looking mother fucker.

TL;DR - We shouldn’t be applauding cops for once not applying too much force - we should be appalled that the one time they don’t use force against a violent suspect, it is routinely because they are white.

ETA - article to previous assault:

11 Likes

Hey now, you can’t say that. Some fascist dickhead will come in here and distract about the treatment of Irish American immigrants 100 years ago entirely divorced from their treatment today.

10 Likes

Is he one of the final contenders to be the next Jeopardy host?

2 Likes

This is what many on the left want.

Never mind that it’s just kicking the can, the problem of arresting remains and belligerent behavior having worked before makes him more likely to resist next time.

Don’t criticize the police for doing what you ask them to do!

The left want what eactly? That people shouldn’t be arrested?

This guy is already violent and should be arrested.

When they can arrest non-violent criminals of color without murdering them, and manage to somehow gather the courage to arrest very scary white women yelling at store clerks, then they’ll be doing what I ask. No sign of that happening anytime soon though…

21 Likes

If they had guns…

3 Likes

8 Likes

Honest talk: IME I’ve found usually when people tell me they can tell what I want… they’re projecting.

Cause people tend to tell you what they want when you ask them and then listen, but assuming one knows what other people want is risky.

So … in light of all that… what is it “many” on “the left” want that is “just kicking the can” here?

Are you trying to say that many on the left want police to just let violent and dangerous men do whatever they want without consequences? Because that’s a hell of a claim. Who, who specifically wants that again?

22 Likes

Right? It is literally the opposite of what activists seeking to reform policing have been advocating.

15 Likes

Jesus Christ. Black people get shot while sitting in cars refusing to come out All. The. Time. Or not getting out fast enough. Or getting out, but in the “right” way. And inevitably the cops justify it with their fear. Even in situations where the cops know nothing about them, and have no real reason to suspect them of any wrong-doing. Not someone they know has a history of violence, threatening people with weapons, beating people unconscious, intimidating witnesses… Oh wait, he wasn’t just white, he was suspected of hate crimes. The cops probably treated him this way because they’re hoping he’ll apply to become a police officer.

Gotta assume, based on their own claims. They always, always use their fear as justification for their extreme violence. Except, apparently, when they actually expect violence, at which point they often simply don’t engage in order to avoid it.

17 Likes

Something something should have been mashed potato (I’m good with punch lines, not with set up)

3 Likes

Nobby had survived any number of famous massacres by not being there.

Colon and Nobby had lived a long time in a dangerous occupation and the knew how not to be dead. To wit, by arriving when the bad guys had got away.

You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergeant stood there and said, ‘We need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to women, for the use of.’ There was always a snag. If a choir of angels asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to take one smart pace to the rear.

13 Likes