Watch cops handcuff black store owners and let looters flee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/02/watch-cops-handcuff-black-stor.html

10 Likes

peep-show-hans-bullshit

28 Likes

jesus h christ.

Edit: So I rewatched this multiple times. I can understand why there is absolute confusion on everyone’s part. The reporter is just pointing and at one point says “These guys are protecting the looters.” then says “No you are letting the looters get away”. Additionally she is not the only one giving instructions.

Confusing yes. But the same damn mistake by the cops is made once again…they don’t listen, talk over everyone, act like they know what’s what and just start throwing cuffs on people. So my first reaction is the same…jesus h christ…can’t you guys get your heads out of your asses?!

20 Likes

And some wonder why protesters are angry.

30 Likes

I especially liked the cop-apologist commenters who implied that indiscriminately handcuffing the people who made the call was perfectly reasonable.

No, wait, not liked: it made me want to vomit in rage.

25 Likes

Chaos.

8 Likes

Makes sense to me; as long as looters are free to continue looting, there will continue to be demand for cops to brutalize anyone they like. ACAB

8 Likes

This is also the perfect synecdoche for everything happening in LA right now - the police are being criticized for focusing all their attention on (brutalizing) peaceful protesters while totally ignoring the looting happening elsewhere.

13 Likes

That’s some accelerationist/bugaloo shit right there.

Is this how it starts?

SMH

6 Likes

Nice. They roll up and slap cuffs on any poc within their sight before they even understand the situation. Hey, silver lining. Nobody appears to have been shot.

7 Likes

Yet another example of the standard that dTrump exemplifies - crime really does pay.

4 Likes

43r3k4

12 Likes

“This is one of the most absolutely insane moments I’ve ever seen on live television.”

OK, but the definition of “the most insane thing” changes by the hour. Our bar is now so low that any time there aren’t deaths, it counts as a win.

8 Likes

I mean…

19 Likes

Hey, I’m sure that when Trump’s official federal storm troopers get in the act everything will be fine. But, damn, those tank treads really tear up the pavement.

Are they insane? No. They’re racist and dumb as dirt, but I repeat myself.

7 Likes

You’ve heard of the arrest-worthy crime of “driving while black”? Welcome to 2020, where it’s joined by “job-creatin’ while black”. In Making America Great White Again, capitalism is once again only for “very fine people”.

5 Likes
3 Likes

An interesting read…

As Christian Davenport, a political-science professor at the University of Michigan, put it to me, “the best way to prevent looting is to provide individuals with a living wage, provide for their basic needs, treat them with human dignity, and facilitate a life that is about thriving.”

7 Likes

So OT buy twice now I’ve tried to watch videos embedded in tweets posted here about the protests and both times I got a “The media could not be played” message. Is this on BoingBoing or is Twitter trying to appease his majesty?