Baltimore eyewitnesses tell a different story of how riots began

[Permalink]

The Baltimore Police Department did not respond to requests for comment.

I suppose they need time to craft their story. However, there must have been hundreds of phones there. Plenty of documentary evidence. They’re unlikely to bring anybody to trial, but this could well be exculpatory. Also useful in a civil action,

2 Likes

There is nothing I can say that hasn’t been said better than Gil Scott Heron

2 Likes

What Would Andy Griffith Do?

Having carefully observed the behavior of police for half a century now, I don’t think they should be allowed to have weapons. In my experience well armed, law abiding citizens are not particularly dangerous, and often handy to have around - but cops are above the law, and can murder and steal with impunity, so an armed cop is never really safe to be around.

6 Likes

But everyone knows about Maryland. Goddam.

school children sitting in jail
black cat cross my path
I think every day’s gonna be my last

2 Likes

From the story:

Those kids were set up, they were treated like criminals before the first brick was thrown.

No surprise there. Turn city police into a superweaponized, occupying army (protect and serve? puhleeze) and they’re sure to think of black citizens as the enemy. Basically, black people in the U.S. are guilty until proven innocent. And white people wonder why they don’t trust the police!

5 Likes

They need time to craft a new one and/or they are in shock that their “gangs are conspiring to kill us” ones did not work.

5 Likes

Police corralling people in, refusing to let them escape, escalating a situation. I’m not sure if this was a deliberate attempt to provoke violence or just gross incompetence that led to results anyone smarter than a cop could predict, but it sure is a familiar story.

6 Likes

I can’t believe this isn’t a bigger story. To me, this means the cops started the riot.

2 Likes

It’s standard tactics. When you think there might be a protest, cut off all avenues of escape and then order the crowd to disperse. It gives you a perfecly lawful reason to arrest them all, because they’re refusing to disperse, and it’s a convenient way to get those troublemakers off the streets. And anyone else who happened to be on the street, well, they’re not innocent. They didn’t lift a finger to stop the protest before the cops got there.

I can’t tell whether any of the above is ironic. I’ve Poe’s-Law’ed myself.

2 Likes

I’m just waiting for the police apologists to show up and tell us how hard the police work to protect everyone.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Police Hummvees fer chrissakes

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

That’s a lot of officers trained for crowd control

Extremely high levels of incompetence are indistinguishable from malice, I guess?

1 Like

No, we don’t actually wonder. We don’t trust the police either.

2 Likes

Well, if it looks like an occupying army, smells like an occupying army, and shoots like an occupying army…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.