Police shoot complying unarmed black man. Reason stated by cop "I don't know"

Did you notice that we’re no longer a first world country? I noticed.

There should be a charge in there for failing to provide medical care. Cops have first aid training.

But hey, if the witness DIES the paperwork is probably easier.

My grandfather was a police officer. An unarmed beat cop in Boston in the 1940s.

I think we may need more cops.

But they need to be unarmed, and make a lot less money, and live in the neighborhoods they serve, as my grandfather did. Let them call in an armed officer trained in not murdering people when they need backup.

“The North Miami police officer who shot an unarmed, black mental health worker caring for a patient actually took aim at the autistic man next to him, but missed, the head of the police union said Thursday.”

FOR FUCKS SAKE

Can someone update the list?

I was trying to think of the worst part about this: Shooting at an autistic man because he’s not complying, aiming so badly that you actually shoot the person you tried to “protect” (despite his loud, repeated insistence that everything was fine), handcuffing that man instead of performing first aid…

Then I realized I already know the worst part of this: that nothing’s going to change as a result of this shooting, and that this (or something very, very similar) is going to happen again. And again. And again.

I don’t seem to have rights at L3. I thought we could do that, maybe it’s just limited to the title & group…

Little help @M_Dub ?

Have to summon @M_Dub.

Oops, didn’t see @jamesnsc’s comments.

Those are some racist bullets, going around a white man to hit a black man.

I just now heard about this.

#What the actual fuck.

I’m also following this on a neuodiversity group on FB - lot’s of very worried people on there. Yet another entry on my list of reasons not to visit America, even though my privilege would - probably - protect me.
As a veteran of both the police and the army commented on the murder of Philando Castile - There doesn’t seem to be anything that an innocent person can do or not do to avoid being killed by a police officer.

You could join the force. There is one group they universally protect. Their Own.

…except for whistleblowers.

Well, they stabbed the tribe in the back for the favor of the not-tribe, so what do you expect? When you step over the Thin Blue Line, you’re not a cop anymore, and therefore not worthy of protection.

The case of Adrian Schoolcraft demonstrates that local police are completely willing to gaslight their own officers in order to maintain the corrupt system they are a part of.

I say, dismantle the police, nationally, and build a system that’s much better. Like any other highly developed nation’s.

Why don’t we have nice things? Other countries have proven it’s possible. There has to be a force that is resisting the welfare of the Public.

The audio player at thisamericanlife.org isn’t working for me.

But I am reading the original story at the Village Voice.

Made without the knowledge or approval of the NYPD, the tapes—made between June 1, 2008, and October 31, 2009, in the 81st Precinct in Bedford-Stuyvesant and obtained exclusively by the Voice—provide an unprecedented portrait of what it's like to work as a cop in this city.

They reveal that precinct bosses threaten street cops if they don’t make their quotas of arrests and stop-and-frisks, but also tell them not to take certain robbery reports in order to manipulate crime statistics. The tapes also refer to command officers calling crime victims directly to intimidate them about their complaints.

http://villagevoice.com/2010-05-04/news/the-nypd-tapes-inside-bed-stuy-s-81st-precinct

Yeah. His department did everything in their power to get him comitted so they could get away with their crimes.

At one point they came to his house in the middle of his off-shift to “check on him”, banging on his door, not leaving for hours, sieging him in his own house.

I happen to have that episode sitting on my hard drive. (I just like playing from a local file rather than streaming, so I DL’d it back in 2013 and never felt like deleting it.) Here’s a link in case anyone decides they want it. It might be worth it because the actual undercover recordings are in it.