Police shoot complying unarmed black man. Reason stated by cop "I don't know"

If they want their victim to go to court? Haha :angry:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s got to be a fair proportion of these 911 calls that are made because the callerā€™s know this is going to be the result. No different to SWATing.

2 Likes

Including some famous ones: http://www.wnyc.org/story/imperfect-plaintiff

1 Like

I worked with LEOā€™s while in college & all gave the same advice re shooting: dead men canā€™t testify.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Thatā€™s why it needs to be a crime for a cop to not render aid to the person they shot. Like a big crime. Like a crime that is punishable to the same extent as a civilian shooting a cop.

8 Likes

Agree. Iā€™m of the mind that ppl in positions of power & influence (so LEOā€™s, politicians, basically anyone elected and/or serving the public trust) should be held to a higher standard.

There should be a much lower bar for something to be treated as a crime when you hold the public trust - not waaaaay less like we have it now. Totes backwards.

3 Likes

Iā€™m an Eagle Scout. Or was. I turned it in due to the BSAā€™s HQā€™s treatment of gay members. Most troops donā€™t give a flying fuck whether a kid or dad is gay.

In anycase, the BSA tries to teach a higher standards doctrine, and it seems to do better than the cops, since I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever heard of an Eagle Scout randomly killing anyone.

8 Likes

Ever heard Culturcideā€™s ā€œHouston Lawmanā€ (originally ā€œWichita Linemanā€)?
If not, yā€™all are in for a viciously truthful, biting, satirical treat:

ā€œI know thereā€™ve been a few indictments,
When the po-lice chief is black,
But that wonā€™t help you when my bullets go into your backā€¦ā€

Doesnā€™t sound that truthful to me if thereā€™ve been any indictmentsā€¦

4 Likes

Did you notice that weā€™re no longer a first world country? I noticed.

6 Likes

There should be a charge in there for failing to provide medical care. Cops have first aid training.

But hey, if the witness DIES the paperwork is probably easier.

5 Likes

My grandfather was a police officer. An unarmed beat cop in Boston in the 1940s.

I think we may need more cops.

But they need to be unarmed, and make a lot less money, and live in the neighborhoods they serve, as my grandfather did. Let them call in an armed officer trained in not murdering people when they need backup.

7 Likes

ā€œThe North Miami police officer who shot an unarmed, black mental health worker caring for a patient actually took aim at the autistic man next to him, but missed, the head of the police union said Thursday.ā€

FOR FUCKS SAKE

13 Likes

Can someone update the list?

7 Likes

I was trying to think of the worst part about this: Shooting at an autistic man because heā€™s not complying, aiming so badly that you actually shoot the person you tried to ā€œprotectā€ (despite his loud, repeated insistence that everything was fine), handcuffing that man instead of performing first aidā€¦

Then I realized I already know the worst part of this: that nothingā€™s going to change as a result of this shooting, and that this (or something very, very similar) is going to happen again. And again. And again.

15 Likes

I donā€™t seem to have rights at L3. I thought we could do that, maybe itā€™s just limited to the title & groupā€¦

Little help @M_Dub ?

3 Likes

Have to summon @M_Dub.

Oops, didnā€™t see @jamesnscā€™s comments.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Those are some racist bullets, going around a white man to hit a black man.

4 Likes