Police shoot complying unarmed black man. Reason stated by cop "I don't know"

I just now heard about this.

#What the actual fuck.

12 Likes

I’m also following this on a neuodiversity group on FB - lot’s of very worried people on there. Yet another entry on my list of reasons not to visit America, even though my privilege would - probably - protect me.
As a veteran of both the police and the army commented on the murder of Philando Castile - There doesn’t seem to be anything that an innocent person can do or not do to avoid being killed by a police officer.

6 Likes

You could join the force. There is one group they universally protect. Their Own.

6 Likes

…except for whistleblowers.

7 Likes

Well, they stabbed the tribe in the back for the favor of the not-tribe, so what do you expect? When you step over the Thin Blue Line, you’re not a cop anymore, and therefore not worthy of protection.

5 Likes

The case of Adrian Schoolcraft demonstrates that local police are completely willing to gaslight their own officers in order to maintain the corrupt system they are a part of.

I say, dismantle the police, nationally, and build a system that’s much better. Like any other highly developed nation’s.

Why don’t we have nice things? Other countries have proven it’s possible. There has to be a force that is resisting the welfare of the Public.

1 Like

The audio player at thisamericanlife.org isn’t working for me.

But I am reading the original story at the Village Voice.

Made without the knowledge or approval of the NYPD, the tapes—made between June 1, 2008, and October 31, 2009, in the 81st Precinct in Bedford-Stuyvesant and obtained exclusively by the Voice—provide an unprecedented portrait of what it's like to work as a cop in this city.

They reveal that precinct bosses threaten street cops if they don’t make their quotas of arrests and stop-and-frisks, but also tell them not to take certain robbery reports in order to manipulate crime statistics. The tapes also refer to command officers calling crime victims directly to intimidate them about their complaints.

4 Likes

Yeah. His department did everything in their power to get him comitted so they could get away with their crimes.

At one point they came to his house in the middle of his off-shift to “check on him”, banging on his door, not leaving for hours, sieging him in his own house.

4 Likes

I happen to have that episode sitting on my hard drive. (I just like playing from a local file rather than streaming, so I DL’d it back in 2013 and never felt like deleting it.) Here’s a link in case anyone decides they want it. It might be worth it because the actual undercover recordings are in it.

2 Likes

That ep of This American Life shocked me. I am not a man easily shocked. I grew up on the internet. I’ve seen everything. You people wouldn’t believe the things I’ve seen…

But that show shattered my conception of police. Yeah I knew there were plenty of bad cops, and a horde of indifferent or cowardly cops willing to enable the evil fuckers. But I was blindsided by that level of corruption. It was beyond my ability to process it for a long time. I was trained to fear and dislike cops as a teen. But as an adult, I’m disgusted with them. The bad apples prove the barrel is nearly always rotten through. If there were so many good cops, they wouldn’t let the bad cops get away with literal murder. As it stands the “good cop” is one in a few thousand. The “bad cops” are a few in a hundred. And the worse enabler cops make up the rest.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s chilling. I’m listening to it right now. They’re in his house about to abduct him on trumped-up psychiatric issues. This episode was a major waypoint on the journey from what I used to think, naively, which was basically conventional wisdom, to what I know now. I can barely remember how I used to think about it.

ETA re remembering: (But all I have to do is visit relatives and I’m reminded.)

5 Likes

What’s chilling to me is that police appear to be outside the legal system. They’re indicted at impossibly low rates. Rates that don’t measure up to how useful they are, and their obligations and duties.

If you give someone as much power as a cop, then it’s reckless and wrong to not make them avoid shooting people. And most cop training is to put them on edge, make them jump at shadows, and shoot people at a rate far exceeding all reason. And all they get for it is paid vacation.

7 Likes

I’ll just leave this one here:

Apparently the stupid fuck was a headcase and the department hired him anyway.

That department needs direct supervision in hiring from the feds for a few years, if you ask me. I don’t know if it’ll help, but maybe if there’s some G-man breathing down HR’s neck they’ll be forced to follow their own hiring rules.

3 Likes

money quote:

a psychological review read: “There was one mild to moderate deficit noted: lack of tolerance: Possible characteristics include judgmental; argumentative; critical; challenging; rigid; stubborn.”   In other words, he fit the perfect profile of the cops we know today.
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 212 days. New replies are no longer allowed.