Polish women go on strike over insane abortion law

And in Ireland specifically, the team has to okay the abortion – and part of the team represents the church. If it was strictly a medical team that would be something else again.

2 Likes

Because they knew the international media would be there? That’s the usual reason.

3 Likes

Someone has to be.

I was going from Dr Jen Gunter’s commentary here ( https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/?s=Savita&submit=Search ) I also have personal experience with a similar case in Canada where the fact that membranes were ruptured but there was still a fetal heartbeat caused the tragic and fatal delay. So I can believe it.

Thank you.

2 Likes

The ones in the Polish language article are in Polish.

2 Likes

I think this is the point. You have to protest it while it’s being voted on - while there’s still a chance to change it, stop it, prevent it being signed into law.

A polish friend alerted me of the then up-coming Black Monday protest by posting live feed from another protest over the weekend. At the time I had no idea what the signs said or what the issue was. This law, as written is outrageous and dangerous.

3 Likes

partly @gadgetgirl02’s reason, partly a selection of the picture desk - Polish signs are hard to read for a non-Polish audience.

the newsweek.pl gallery has mostly Polish posters

4 Likes

That makes sense, thanks.

I really wish it was easier to find flaws in that conclusion :frowning:

8 Likes

JPII played in goals for the Polish national team

Correct. That’s why random women aren’t allowed to get you an abortion (against your will) even in the most radically left wing countries.

10 Likes

And the proposal is taken back.
Bad side is that I expect ‘they’ are pondering about an other one with other wording, but nevertheless good news for now. Maybe get rid now of the already insane law at hand?

2 Likes

So if the government keeps going with their plans maybe the women need to use an old school tactic to convince them to back down.

Reminds me of the story of a “sex ed” class, where all the girls in the class was given pieces of paper that showed the outcome of their having sex. Some proportion got an STI, some proportion got pregnant. Some proportion didn’t have a negative consequence… and so those lucky few got to draw again. And again. Until everyone had some sort of negative outcome.

4 Likes

Only the girls I suppose?

10 Likes

As far as I remember, that story did not end well.

High school sex ed classes are still quite commonly segregated by gender. I’ll leave the question of whether that’s a good idea for another day.

3 Likes

this is a joke? please?

we had one teacher trying this on us, he gave courses for Catholic religion and one day said “the boys can go home, I want to talk with the girls about the growing up as women”. this was 9th grade so we were about 15 years old. as a godless atheist* I wasn’t there but as class representive I fought it out - the result was mostly fine: the regional school board got involved and the teacher was not allowed to give courses in our age group again.

* I took ethic classes instead

4 Likes

It’s not, I’m afraid. But how do I wish it is…

4 Likes