Poll: only 36% of Americans trust Donald Trump on coronavirus

Dear MalevolentPixy,

Yes, too much to keep up with.

Only? That’s 36% more than should. But hey. I’m sure they are going to all be just fine through this, listening to the ravings of the orange madman and his ilk.

I also wonder how much of it is driven by desperation? People thinking we’ve come this far, may as well go all in and hope he’s not the person he clearly is.

3 Likes

Trump’s following is 100% a cult at this point, and an extreme version of the sunk-cost fallacy reigns here, causing his supporters to be impervious to the facts. Studies of the more extreme religious cults are the most relevant:

@Mindysan33
What’s shocking is that more than a third of the country has bought into this. This is a seriously sick society.

6 Likes

Over here in the UK we’ve just had an election in which one of the parties was led by someone who publicly stabbed his predecessor in the back to get the job after spending three years complaining that said predecessor’s flagship policy wasn’t working but not mentioning that the main reason it wasn’t working was that he was actively sabotaging it. And then ran his campaign on the back of a slogan (Get Brexit Done) that was so brazenly a denial of the actual political truth of the last few years that it seemed impossible that it would work.
And he won a large majority. And in the face of a response to the virus that has been at least as chaotic and possibly as catastrophic as that of the US, he still has >50% support.

So no, I’m not really surprised that Trump is still doing fine. Because there are a lot of people who don’t actually follow “politics” at all let alone in the obsessive way that some of us do. And the truth is that there are also enough people who like simple slogans over nuanced debate and like to be told what to believe.

6 Likes

It’s easy to be dismissive and say they are a cult full of idiots, and to a certain extent it’s true depending on your definition of idiot. From my limited observations of the publicans I know it’s just simple ideological math, which is reinforced by a limited information spear.

If you believe in one or all the following, there is no choice.
xenophobic: build the wall/ blame china
religious: no gay marriage/ anti abortion
financially driven: tax cuts for the top/ deregulation

While the DNC chases it’s tail around and can barely muster up enough support to fight this 36%. When all they need to to is vow to provide medical care for all, ubi, and decriminalize pot.

2 Likes

Entirely. But it always has been.

5 Likes

36% is terrifyingly high.

From the said study:
The individual believer must have social support. It is unlikely that one isolated believer could withstand the kind of disconfirming evidence that has been specified. If, however, the believer is a member of a group of convinced persons who can support one another, the belief may be maintained and the believers may attempt to proselytize or persuade nonmembers that the belief is correct.

There is absolutely no way, in the age of Facebook, that trump supporters won’t be able to find enough people like them to continue maintaining their belief system. Pretty depressing, tbh.

3 Likes

Even sports fans have their limits.

What we are left with here are the cultists who will believe whatever the leader tells them, even if it contradicts what they were told by the leader yesterday.

4 Likes

Yes. Accurate. Call it like it is. This country is 40% racist and equally ignorant.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.