Polls show GOP seriously miscalculated on abortion rights

Originally published at: Polls show GOP seriously miscalculated on abortion rights | Boing Boing

18 Likes

It is also possible that the constant stream of “Donald Trump sold our National secrets” in the news is hurting the GOP as well, but who knows?

To borrow a reaction from one of the Regulars here:

IP73r|nullxnull

42 Likes

50 Likes

The other issue is GOP being more interested in expending gun rights and ownership, instead of protecting citizens and children. Especially in the face of many mass shootings.

28 Likes

As a Canadian, I’d be delighted to once again be looking to the US for things that we could aspire to, rather than as a cautionary tale.

We’ve got enough mouth-breathers up here who already are easily led, and right now it’s the shoutiest shouters and bigotiest bigots that our deplorables are listening to down south.

45 Likes

I previously posted on BoingBoing that the Republicans did not want to actually get the Supreme Court to ban abortion.

I meant that they wanted to PROMISE to get it banned SOMEDAY. As long as they did that they would bring in single issue voters. Now that they actually got Roe overturned they lose the single issue voters and they turn off all the moderate voters. It is always better for politicians to promise to do something and never deliver, that way they keep you on the hook.

Once they deliver, they lose the promise and they have to deal with the consequences.

Hopefully the consequences will prove severe for them.

43 Likes

The dog that caught the car.

50 Likes

Democrats have a long history of seeing good polls and deciding “Well, that’s settled!” and slacking off.

THIS NEVER WORKS.

V O T E. ALWAYS VOTE. Nothing else matters, not even public op[inion. ALWAYS VOTE.

57 Likes

I still call bullshit on that. Maybe some of them were playing games to rile up their base, but there are more than enough men (and some women) in the GOP who really DO want to roll back the clock on women’s rights. They have shown us precisely who they are time and again. They pose a direct and present danger to ALL the women in your life (and any LGBQT+ folks, and POC, etc, etc). Maybe stop giving them the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they are just playing games and fucking believe their extremism.

And of course, the rule of goats apply here. It hardly matters their reasoning. They are still intent on rolling back the hard fought gains made by anyone who isn’t a white man in the past century or so. At the end of the day, does it REALLY fucking matter WHY they do what they do, when the outcome is exactly the same. This isn’t a fucking game. Real human lives are on the line. Time we act like it rather than treating it like an intellectual game to be puzzled out.

58 Likes

Gotta go beyond this: convince others to vote, help others vote, volunteer for GOTV campaigns in your area.

13 Likes

Popular support for the Leopards Eating People’s Faces Party slackens slightly in the wake of a series of face-eating incidents.

29 Likes

Kansas voters rejected a Constitutional amendment removing abortion rights. Alaska voters elected a Democrat to the House over Sarah Palin. These are two of the reddest of the red states. The GOP needs to face the reality that the majority of Americans, even in red states, do not want this far right, Christian Nationalism (aka fascism). I don’t want to take anything for granted, but maybe enough moderate Republicans have had enough of this nonsense finally.

29 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

20 Likes

I agree with the hope, but the last thing we can afford to do is start thinking we have won and this is over. It won’t even be over in November. But that will be a huge battle and could set the frame for the rest of the war. We need to continue the fight.

(from Henry V, spoken by King Henry)

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Or close the wall up with our English dead.

In peace there’s nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility:

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger;

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,

Disguise fair nature with hard-favour’d rage;

Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;

Let pry through the portage of the head

Like the brass cannon; let the brow o’erwhelm it

As fearfully as doth a galled rock

O’erhang and jutty his confounded base,

Swill’d with the wild and wasteful ocean.

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,

Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit

To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.

Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!

Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,

Have in these parts from morn till even fought

And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:

Dishonour not your mothers; now attest

That those whom you call’d fathers did beget you.

Be copy now to men of grosser blood,

And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,

Whose limbs were made in England, show us here

The mettle of your pasture; let us swear

That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;

For there is none of you so mean and base,

That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game’s afoot:

Follow your spirit, and upon this charge

Cry ‘God for Harry, England, and Saint George!’

(OK, might need to adjust the English idioms and references, but far be it from me to improve on The Bard!)

32 Likes

I came here JUST to say exactly that. The damage done to the dog is something they never see coming.

5 Likes

Yeah. For a lot of them (the cynical ones), it’s a useful wedge issue. They can use it to electrify their base and drive voter turnout.

However, the cynical professional politicians have lost control of the party over the last two decades. Now there are a lot of true believers in office who legitimately want to impose their personal morals and beliefs on the rest of the country.

That struggle in the Republican Party (Cynical Professional Politicians vs Batshit Crazy True Believers) will hopefully weaken it enough that it either splits or is forced to move more toward the center.

However, I’m worried that their efforts over the past few decades to tilt the board at the local and state level, while weakening federal powers, has given them such a strong foothold in power that they’ve paved the way for a minority of crazy people to exert control over the rest of us.

3 Likes

Religiofascism is the worst fascism of all.

7 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

15 Likes

Seconding Mindy on this. Maybe they didn’t do this expecting it to be popular. Maybe they did it despite it being unpopular because it’s important to their agenda of hurting women and bringing in fascism. Maybe it’s not a coincidence that it happened at the exact same time they have been trying to stop voting from mattering.

27 Likes

But you know that we’re totally hurtling headlong into fascism, right? To me, being extraordinarily well-read on the rise of mid-last century European fascism, the writing has been on the wall since the SCOTUS installed GWB as US president. That was the first stolen election, as was the next one. Literally stolen! And then the Citizens United decision sealed the deal. When the ultra-rich are completely unfettered and unrestrained, fascism is the logical consequence.

20 Likes