Poop doping could be the latest performance enhancement craze

Smells funny to me.

9 Likes

This is a bogus story. There is no evidence that a fecal transplant helped this person in any way and there is also no evidence that the differences in microbes found in these athletes have any causal connection to performance.

See https://phylogenomics.blogspot.com/2017/06/irresponsible-reporting-on-poop-doping.html for some debunking.

12 Likes

I don’t know about this stuff.
What I do know is that “poop dope” is fun to say.

8 Likes

I like the article linked in that article.

“Do they check for steroids?”
“Yes.”
“Do they check for blood doping?”
“Yes.”
“Do they check for endangered giraffe testosterone derivative?”
“Yes.”
“Do they check to see if your bike is really a motorcycle?”
"…hmmm."

6 Likes

I see nothing wrong with this. Maintaining a healthy micro-biome as a means to better athletic performance is no different than eating a healthy diet to achieve better athletic performance.

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a thread about this already…

I can’t keep up anymore

5 Likes

Also neither Chronic Lyme’s Disease or Chronic Fatigue are really things. Though Chronic Fatigue is closer to something with medical recognition. Both are classic self diagnosed, “symptom of life” sort of conditions. So she “cured” herself of one one likely non-existent ill understood disorder. Causing another ill understood likely non-existent disorder. Then “cured” that with a headline grabbing miracle cure treatment? One that’s become a buzzy, cure all, subject of vast interest in the nonarealmedicalcondition industry?

Yeah that seems totally legit.

4 Likes

lots of “functional” symptoms here. not that they aren’t real, but likely aren’t organic in nature. it’s quite possible she helped herself, though. placebo effect is legit and powerful.

They repeatedly stressed that, “it wasn’t fun.”

I say we need to find ways to make it fun!

14 Likes

))<>((

Pooping back and forth, forever…

15 Likes

Only a matter of time before poop-duping becomes the primary method of sabotage on the Tour d’France.

3 Likes

From that article:

“It is just really bad reporting because the claims of one scientist are presented as facts without any scrutiny and these claims need lots of scrutiny.”

Her personal experiences ARE facts, unless you say she is lying about her personal experience.

She did A and felt B.

I think you’re getting her claims and the reporting ON her claims confused. I have no reason to doubt her word about her own experience, do you?

She didn’t publish a paper for peer review, she wrote about her own informed experience with the vocabulary of a practicing non-medical microbiologist.

She IS full of shit, that’s the point of the story. But not as full of bullshit as that article claims.

6 Likes

Your invalidation is quite a prescription doc. Tough Medicine.

Thanks for all the empathy you omniscient beast!

9 Likes

As is the capacity of people to swat at and diminish, publicly, information they can’t process.

6 Likes

I think that thread was about the ethical use of city trash cans to dispose of dog poop or something. I checked to see if the post was a dupe, as Ken made it clear that various poop threads ran amok last week.

2 Likes

2 Likes

you seem offended. I’m sorry if so, that wasn’t my intention. I meant it when I said I believe she is experiencing the symptoms she describes and the alleviation of those symptoms with her intervention. I firmly believe in alternative healing methods and lots of things we don’t understand. I’m just skeptical that the mechanism she’s proposing (modifying her microbiome) is what did it.

I just tried saying “poop dope post dupe” ten times fast, and I didn’t get very far.

ETA: Seems to be working now

7 Likes

Please, don’t change the subject.

And I don’t fault your skepticism. I just don’t agree with the degree of it, for me.

well, you come across as having a near perfect understanding of her experience and motivations, and I cant empathize with that as an authentic statement, or one that supports a ‘firm belief in alternative healing methods’.

To be clear, you may well have more firm belief in it than I do, I generally do not have that belief in alternative methods.

But my personal experience with the biome, my own backgroun in microbio and toxicology, and the limitations she put on her own experiences in the piece leave me wondering if you read the same article I did. No worries, no need to take it or make it personal.

(edited per mod request)

4 Likes

Personal anecdotes and stories are fine. But this is not just presented as her opinion as to what happened. For example where it has “Eventually, she learned that her microbiome (the colony of microbes in her body) was dangerously unbalanced and was not functioning as it should.” This is not saying “She thought this might be unbalanced” it says she learned it was unbalanced. It also says “She was not breaking down any food” - it does not say “She felt like she was not breaking down any food”. And so on. Many parts of the story are presented as facts when they are simply theories that she has come up with, and ones that are dubious too. For example, “not breaking down any food” is almost impossible. Just too much in this article is guesses presented as facts.

5 Likes