Popcorn ceilings, leaded gas, and other inventions that have "done more harm than good," according to Reddit

Originally published at: Popcorn ceilings, leaded gas, and other inventions that have "done more harm than good," according to Reddit | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Social media.

37 Likes

Capitalism? :man_shrugging:

27 Likes

How bad is popcorn ceiling? You zoom in on it and it’s all made of plastic containers that are like crimp plastic stitch welded around the entire edge and it’s super thick plastic that will slice your shit open.

EDIT: This comment was made in reaction to a misapplied image-label in the main article, which has now been removed. So, carry on.

10 Likes

Reddit?

But seriously, while I understand the hatred for popcorn ceilings, if you have ever drywalled a ceiling it is not easy to make it perfect and seamless. I understand why popcorn and ceiling texture was a thing, even if I hate it.

(And yes I’ll sand and finish that joint 3 or more times to make it look good.)

And I throw in ethanol in gas > lead in gas.

18 Likes

The Divine Right of Kings, Racism, Cheez Whiz, and Clackers.

17 Likes

Older popcorn ceiling is made of asbestos. We had some work done and they had to test for it due to the age of our house. Thankfully it didn’t contain asbestos, but the linoleum we wanted to replace did. Got kicked out of our house for a week and had to pay several thousand extra for asbestos remediation. Not fun.

25 Likes

Things I learned - ‘popcorn ceiling’ is a term apparently understood by USanians for a textured or Artex ceiling (as we’d probably more likely call it over here in UK). Never heard that term before.

Other inventions that have done more harm than good: Religion?

31 Likes

Done in the past 20 or so years? Just an eyesore you can remove with some time, effort, and mess.

Older than that, you have an eyesore that’s actually asbestos-laden cancer boogers. Removing it is an expensive and time consuming process.

14 Likes

Even the Oxford comma didn’t help in that sentence!!

It was when I got to Clackers that I realized “the Divine Right” didn’t apply to anything after the first noun!

12 Likes

One man, two spiffing inventions

Also managed to design a device which strangled him.

25 Likes

I guess if some kings had Clackers as kids, the Divine Right problem might have already sorted itself out! :laughing:

ETA: Well, okay. I guess they did have something similar…

14 Likes

Textured walls and ceilings in general are a bad idea, I learned that lesson so hard with my current house. It’s a lot less work to texture and paint a place than it is to hang drywall right to begin with.

9 Likes

Low flow toilets are not as bad as everyone says. If you only poop once a day (a ‘regular’ guy like myself, one big dump after morning coffee) you might flush twice, but all the times during the day when you just pee you still save water. And if you don’t flush for every no.1 then you save even more water.

10 Likes

Dinky, four dimensional universes. There’s no place to put your stuff and they’re always expanding or collapsing, or just going bang unexpectedly! Zero quality control.

9 Likes

i thought the point of popcorn ceilings was for dampening acoustics. sure, it’s ugly and hard to paint, but it serves a purpose in apartment buildings and places with thinner walls.

5 Likes

The GOP tops my list of useless f@cking shit.

15 Likes

I would put whomever created the US standard for electrical outlets and extension cords. Basically, all plugs in the US don’t have fuses fit for purpose (current draw) and extension cords especially would benefit as their wire gauge is far smaller than people realize and so they can become fire hazards. Just adding a few cents worth of protection into the outlets (similar to the UK outlet shrouds) and the plugs (again UK plugs have fuses fit for purpose) can go far to prevent such dangers.

17 Likes

Wait, what are we talking about here? I thought it referred to a breakfast cereal with an annoying TV commercial.

I’ll add self-storage units, single-use water bottles, fracking, sugary sodas, day-trading.

6 Likes