Popcorn ceilings, leaded gas, and other inventions that have "done more harm than good," according to Reddit

I nominate Television.

3 Likes

Popcorn ceilings DO have the benefit of being acoustically dampening, which nobody has mentioned (and does make a difference sometimes), but yeah the asbestos part sucks.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Since we’re running the gamut from plasticy-packaging to lobotomies i nominate USB connectors
200w

8 Likes

There is some economic history here (isn’t there always?) Tim Hunkin covers this nicely in his recent series on small parts, (well worth a watch!). During the “connectors” episode he points out that copper wiring for 240v British mains was sufficiently expensive that they didn’t often run each smaller loop circuit back to a breaker panel as they did/do in the states (that is, nearly the whole household could be on one circuit to save cost). Hence the fuses were moved from a central breaker/fuse box to each somewhat larger (“good solid British”) plug. The overall fusing coverage is roughly the same in both systems, but the yankee plugs can, and hence are, made more cheaply.

10 Likes

Agriculture

ETA @GagHalfrunt

“In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

-Douglas Adams

13 Likes

He is REALLY bad at it!

1 Like

50/50 chance to accidentally get it right on the first try, but get it wrong 99% of the time.

“Looking at the cable, then looking at the port and trying again” is the modern equivalent to “blow air into the Nintendo Cartridge and try again.”

5 Likes

In case someone doesn’t yet know about the secret to claimshell packaging: use a can opener. Easy peasy.

7 Likes

Leaded gasoline and CFCs, for those who can’t be bothered. And managing to kill himself in the most Three Stooges way possible was a nice cherry on top.

7 Likes

Upvoted for Tim Hunkin content.

1 Like

Which one of the FOUR DIFFERENT GODDAM KINDS is the worst?

6 Likes

The non-standard one that your camera / mp3 player / whatever decided would be better to use on the portable device’s end.

10 Likes

Lists on social media.

3 Likes

What kind of can opener? I haven’t sliced my shit open but I’ve dulled quite a few scissors.

1 Like

possibly an attempt to update, and commercially exploit this traditional pastime.

3 Likes

What’s bad about USB?? You just have to remember three simple rules.

22 Likes

No shaming Dat ass. Some of us love it.

Those plastic containers are a crime, and should be banned.

2 Likes

Direct link to the connectors episode.

5 Likes

so, apparently the trident faces the ceiling. Easy to remember, unless the computer manufacturer (Apple, perhaps?) decides to be clever and turn the connectors on their side

3 Likes