Popcorn ceilings, leaded gas, and other inventions that have "done more harm than good," according to Reddit

I’ve lived in Britain my entire life and I don’t think I have lived in a house that didn’t have a central breaker/fuse box. Maybe some older houses don’t have them, my parent’s house is inter-war and that’s the oldest house I have lived in.

6 Likes

No the fuses stayed in the fuse box with a number of ring circuits, and each plug was also fused to protect the device (the fuses in the fuse box will largely have been replaced with trip-switches).

8 Likes

The genius of the British plug is that in times of war you can strew them across battlefields to cripple advancing infantry.

LEGO blocks are the Danish equivalent.

18 Likes

I still don’t know what either of you are talking about

5 Likes

Those %^&%$# coffee pods. Trash the environment while habituating folk to inferior coffee.

Even the inventor of the Keurig machine regrets having done so.

20 Likes

The damn genie won’t go back in the bottle!

4 Likes

“Good British plugs” - now you’re talking!

(I’m still a bit disappointed about how Cenelec’s attempts to create the Grand Unified Pan European Plug never went anywhere.)

4 Likes

One of the kind with a hinge that clamps on to the can and a crank to turn it. If you google “Can opener clamshell packaging” you’ll see what kind I mean

4 Likes

I’d say “plastic” in general as an invention that’s done more harm than good.

8 Likes

What @timd said, plus many more

And, no, I have no idea why anyone would look at any of these and think ‘popcorn’.

9 Likes

Or… one of these

3 Likes

Lead in gas was to include ethanol in gas: the ingredient was tetraethyl lead, and it prevented knocking the same way ethanol would, increasing the effective octane rating.

4 Likes

Amazon sells this handy-dandy clamshell package opener…

openx

… which arrives in clamshell packaging.

13 Likes

None of those would be considered popcorn ceilings - just textured. A real popcorn ceiling definitely will look the part.

31 Likes

Maybe it was just a British name for them. I definitely had one of the toys (but mine had skinnier, synthetic string) and I donʻt recall ever hearing them called clackers. They did make that sort of sound, though.

3 Likes

To be fair, that’s just raised spackle. This is a “true” popcorn ceiling in the US, with bits of stuff mixed in the spackle that’s sprayed onto the ceiling.

ETA: Oop, @bashful got this before me. I owe them a Coke.

Oh, and Clackers was the brand name for the most prolific set sold in parts of the USA.

12 Likes

As others have pointed out, popcorn ceiling is different. But still badly named, since it actually looks almost exactly like cottage cheese.

8 Likes

Amen.

2 Likes

Glitter.

11 Likes