Pope met with Kim Davis, urged homophobic Kentucky clerk to “stay strong”

This really shouldn’t need explaning, but, ya see, if an official had been illegally giving certificates before, they would not have been denying anyone their legal rights… they would only have been giving something they did not have the authority to give, which the government would then legally not recognize. There wouldn’t really have been much on either side to make noise about.

10 Likes

That’s actually a big part of it. Basically, if you have ever had any connection with Catholicism you’re counted, even if you haven’t been to church since 8th grade.

Homophobia and all forms of discrimination such as sexism and racism, have always been morally repugnant.

Bigotry and discrimination are never acceptable, especially for people in public offices or jobs.
When some acts in such a deplorable manner, especially breaking the law to do so, it is our duty to stand up in a united voice and let it be known that such horrible behavior is intolerable.

So and so was hired before slavery became illegal…SO FUCKING WHAT? Same deal…

8 Likes

No of course not. People are certainly free to use all the stupid sounding slang they want. Feel free to use “cray” or “yolo” or “totes.” I’ll just be waiting in the corner for them to fall out of fashion like bad slang usually does.

3 Likes

Please do share your totes fave examples of good slang.

4 Likes

Well…

Totes
Radical
Duder
Burk
Peas and rice
Brown bread
Derp
Natch

…I’m not helping, am I.

5 Likes

Dammit. Just dammit. That’s all.

1 Like

It isn’t very often that good slang gets created that has any staying power and a lot of “new” slang is actually recycled old slang.

I’d probably say the last great one I can think of is Basic (referring to a person). It is definitely a word that has no exact alternative and is self-explanatory.

I suppose BFF isn’t bad, though I’m not sure it has long-term staying power.

1 Like

So your def of good slang is old slang? Dude, you clearly can’t even.

7 Likes

6 Likes

11 Likes

You talkin da me?

1 Like

Or El Duderino if you’re not into the whole brevity thing…

3 Likes

OH JESUS CHRIST WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?!?!

careful, i may need to make a gif of me doing jumping jacks in a radish patch. that will burn your eyes out.

9 Likes

And then there was the business of ordering her employees to join in the law-breaking if they wanted to keep their jobs. Whatever their own religious scruples might be. I didn’t notice conservatives saying much about their religious freedoms.
His Popyness’s definition of “conscientious objecting” evidently includes “forcing your employees to share your religious practices”.

5 Likes

So, extrapolating, news outlets should be be stating the Pope tacitly endorsed (multiple) divorces and adultery as well.

I would also argue that the Pope is probably still (for his position) doing a lot of general good in the world. Showing up and reminding folks of the messages of peace, virtue, and caring for the poor and downtrodden/etc are huge things, because the Pope speaks with authority to Catholics - in fact he is literally the highest authority to them. Having someone in his position making real large claims of returns to compassionate religious behavior is a huge boon in terms of setting examples, even if it’s not going to fix everything overnight.

I’m a staunch agnostic but the guy who said ‘all the good will, flushed down the toilet’ is an idiot. Pope literally shows up to America, gives huge speeches talking about all sorts of real awesome things, and then once has a meeting with one crazy lady and says…be strong? That’s it? That’s all the shrift you’re going to give him? Guy is literally making positive change through this shit, man. Is it going to turn me Catholic or make me think the Catholic church is a good thing? No. But I still recognize the power of a massive institution of mostly good people being directed in - for once in America - a good direction other than ‘fuck immigrants, fuck the poor, let’s cut taxes on the rich’ like the religious right has been doing for years.

2 Likes

So a foreign head of state is encouraging an elected official to refuse to fulfill her obligations.

How is that not illegal?

5 Likes

He shields child rapists from the law. To me personally, that’s plenty reason to hate the guy no matter how many other nice things he says.

He’s suppoedly the representative of his god on earth. Why hasn’t his god started twisting his balls about handing over the child rapists to legitimate authorities?

4 Likes

I don’t agree. I think more will be revealed; it might not be positive but it might not be negative.

1 Like