Popeyes coats fried chicken in cookie-crumbs, serves with jam

America, this is why you have diabetes.

8 Likes

Well, part of the reason anyway. I suspect soft drinks have a lot more to do with it.

I was watching a movie tonight where a couple of overweight American tourists are waddling along near the Eiffel Tower, and I was struck by how I’d seen that image before in recent European films.

America’s fondness for sugar, fat, and salt is like a drug addiction, but instead of withering away it has the opposite effect, which is only slightly better.

(BTW-- I actually like Popeyes and KFC, but I can’t think of it as a serious meal, it’s more like eating Doritos or donuts: OK in moderation.)

4 Likes

Next up, chicken nuggets fried with Dorito crumb batter, served in the hole of a donut. mmm… That makes me hungry.

2 Likes

A friend of mine wandered into Dunkin Donuts late at night and demanded a bacon-egg-and-cheese served on a donut, and they honored his drunken wish.

He said it tasted great.

5 Likes

Halfway there.

3 Likes

I’m confused by this post, I dont see the usual outrage from Cory here.

Powdered sugar makes it more french toasty.

3 Likes

Can I just highlight that “the aristocrats” is a hilarious tag here?

I almost did a real lol.

5 Likes

So don’t eat it.

1 Like

They’re all dancing around it…c’mon guys, almost there…

https://www.bk.com/menu-item/mac-n-cheetos

1 Like

Popeye’s chicken tenders are just slices of chicken breast. They aren’t a ‘slurry’.

“high-fructose corn syrup jam”

Popeye’s doesn’t list their ingredients on their website.

You aren’t looking hard enough.

4 Likes

From the photo in the linked article, it looks like the jam’s first ingredient is corn syrup, and what looks to be a decent list of things that aren’t only names of chemical compounds. Not exactly what I would make in my own kitchen, but also not the abomination that is the KFC “Honey” Sauce pictured earlier in the thread.

1 Like

Really? Then Popeye’s must be the good guys, and one of the only good guys. Most fast-food chicken nuggets are made from chicken slurry.

“Tenders” and nuggets are different things.

5 Likes

True, but these aren’t ‘nuggets’. The meal Cory’s talking about are breaded chicken tenders. They’re just white meat chicken breast slices at Popeye’s.

You can analyze the ingredients from a photo? Those are some cool chemist superpowers.

2 Likes

Meh, I’d try them. At the same time I slather honey on chicken, also on fries, and it makes a great salad dressing. I also eat jelly on my sausage… Sadly the closest Popeye’s is 15 miles and located in a gas station.

Of course Biscuitville also sells a spicy fried chicken sandwich with honey now:

But if you are going top tier fast food chicken, obviously this is where it’s at. Just add honey.

3 Likes

McDonald’s has offered honey as a dipping sauce for their nuggets for, what, 30+ years, and Popeyes has offered various honey/fruit sauces for their chicken for a very long time. The combination of sweet & savory shouldn’t be shocking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh it’s not shocking. The amount of honey I go through is somewhat disturbing to most people though. Hell at one time KFC made nuggets, damn good ones too - and served with real Sioux Bee honey.

2 Likes

I can read, can you?

From the photo in the linked article

1 Like

Our great-great grandparents would be horrified to see what dinner looks like today. Chicken with cookie crumbs, pizza with hot dog-filled crust, 32oz Mountain Dew on the side.

2 Likes